Book Recommendations.

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Book Recommendations.

Postby ilerner2 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:36 am

Gentlemen,

I've done a broad search of "books" and came up very short. So this question I pose to you now; I am wanting to learn green woodworking and what I don't want to make I'd still like to know how it is done. I'm not really interested in book reviews but rather hearing from all of you about the books that you own and value highly for their content regarding green woodworking. If you have books that are only so so or left you underwhelmed......well let's leave those out. Just your favorites please. What do you recommend I read as a novice would be up and coming expert green woodworking person (optimistic aren't I.....grin). Thank you everyone.
ilerner2
Regular

Re: Book Recommendations.

Postby Steve Martin » Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:30 am

Mike Abbott, John Alexander, Roy Underhill, are all authors of books I have found useful and would recommend them.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Country Woodcraft by Drew Langsner. ISBN 0-87857-200-7 hardback; -201-5 for paperback The introduction alone is worth the price of the book.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:21 pm

Thank you for the suggestions Fellas, I was hoping for more but that will get me started I'm sure. I've ordered the main three as I already have a couple of Roy Underhill's.
ilerner2
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:03 pm

How about the latest by Sean Hellman - "Shaving Horses, Lap Shaves and other Woodland Vices" ISBN 978-0-9931861-1-0
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby ilerner2 » Mon Sep 11, 2017 6:06 pm

Robin Fawcett wrote:How about the latest by Sean Hellman - "Shaving Horses, Lap Shaves and other Woodland Vices" ISBN 978-0-9931861-1-0

Thanks Robbin, just ordered it!
ilerner2
Regular

Postby Frudd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:09 pm

Dont forget 'Swedish CArving Techniques' by Wille Sundqvist.
Frudd
Regular

Postby ilerner2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:04 pm

Frudd wrote:Dont forget 'Swedish CArving Techniques' by Wille Sundqvist.

Thanks Frudd.

This was a better than average carving book, especially the section on spoons with it's "mistakes not to make" regarding spoon ergonomics and grain. A good all around read.
ilerner2
Regular

Sean Hellman - "Shaving Horses, Lap Shaves and other Woodlan

Postby ilerner2 » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:26 pm

ilerner2 wrote:
Robin Fawcett wrote:How about the latest by Sean Hellman - "Shaving Horses, Lap Shaves and other Woodland Vices" ISBN 978-0-9931861-1-0

Thanks Robbin, just ordered it!

Well after receiving this book and reading it all the way through and other sections three or four times I have to say I think Sean Hellman did an excellent job with this book on work holding devices. As a newbie to the green woodworking scene the info that I was after regarding shave horse design in relation to body ergonomics and use I was able to find within the first pages of the book setting the scene for a very enjoyable read. I know now what I have to consider for my own shave horse build.

Sean Hellman - If you read this - Thank you for a wonderful informative treatise on these work holding devices!!!!
ilerner2
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner