new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here :D

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: new members why not sign up and introduce yourself here

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 07, 2014 1:59 pm

Sue Green wrote:... Does anyone else suffer from chair makers block when you just keep looking at it until you know the next bit to do? ...
I don't make chairs but I know what you mean, I have experienced similar blocks several times: making a shave-horse, bowl-horse, fixing/replacing my workbench & sometimes with a bowl (like now) - waiting for inspiration or clarity of thought: sometimes it comes - eventually - but sometimes you just have to start and then just "crack on" and the momentum of action will often carry you through it, problem solving as you go (rather than waiting for the best solution to occur to you). Best to stop when you get tired & start making mistakes though ;)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby SeanGreenWood » Thu May 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Hi, My name is Sean from Sussex; I'm fairly new having got into Green Woodworking when I went on a course last year. Absolutely loved it! Since then I've built a den in my garden containing Pole Lathe, Shave Horse, and got various tools. Now I just need to practice and absorb as much advice as possible. I went to the Bodgers Ball on 10th May which was amazing! What I love about this hobby is that there's so many different ways to do various things. Look forward to meeting many of you at the various "gatherings". Cheers, Sean.
SeanGreenWood

Postby richnfamous » Fri May 30, 2014 10:03 am

hi

i'm Richard from Somerset. i make spoons (and play equipment) but right now i'm using a felled Leylandii cypress to make a swing seat in a mate's garden. i've been pleasantly surprised at how nice Leylandii wood is to work with - debarking is a doddle, it cuts like butter, and the grain is very attractive. last project was completing a cedar shake roof on a 'orphaned' covered area used by the forest school at Paddington Farm Trust near Glastonbury. next project is to turn an 8' 6" x 4' 6" pine 'drum' (which used to be like a 'tumble dryer' for fluffing up sheepskins at a sheepskin processing place) into a playhouse. the base will be built like a log cabin using Scots Pine and White Fir and covered with a pine shingle/shake roof

anyway, i'm looking forward to learning from the others here
richnfamous

new to the forum

Postby kevin-71 » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:10 pm

hi folks,just joined the site,my names kevin and from the isle of man,i mainly produce spoons,spatulars and anything else treen...started having a go at a few small tables etc.
just a few pics of what i do,i will have a good look through the site later...atb kev

kevin-71

Postby Jonny » Mon Jul 28, 2014 10:34 am

Hello all Jon here from huddersfield. Just begun my journey into pole lathe turning and am looking to see if any local groups exist.
Jon
Jonny

Postby Liam Punshon » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Hello,
Originally from hertfordshire now living in occidental California, on 16acres of redwood/California bay forest (about an hour north of San Francisco) currenty building and collecting the tools required for green woodworking. I'm wondering if anyone on here is also living on the west coast? Knows of any green woodworking groups? and/or would like to come visit us, we have plenty of wood and would like share.

Liam
Liam Punshon

Postby BionicBodger » Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:09 pm

I am an enthusiastic novice (in this arena at least) but have every intention of improving the novice aspect. I live in North Hampshire and by training I am a software developer and have been hacking code for years, however, any questions about computers or software will be met with a short raspberry or a simple but dignified silence 8) . I love new challenges and have a reputation amongst my own family as being a tad eccentric, I keep bees (in the garden), have an allotment (a passion since childhood), make wine and beer, and have now built myself a pole lathe (and am adding a flywheel/treadle to it) - a very short list of some of the interesting (but not always terribly successful) things that I have tried (never make pumpkin wine – it’s simply revolting).
I have been reading through some of the posts on this site and have already learned a few things which probably save me some considerable time. I look forward to reading and learning more but don’t expect too many contributions just yet.
BionicBodger

Postby Bob_Fleet » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:13 am

Good to see you here.
You'll probably get the best introduction by mixing with other likewise folk. There's bound to be a local group near you LINK.
Easier to hear what they've done rather than make all the mistakes for yourself.
They're usually fairly sociable characters and pleased to help.
Enjoy.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby Ken Hume » Mon Aug 25, 2014 10:44 am

Hi Bio,

You are in luck. A group of bodgers meet every Wednesday at Derrick Dunthorne's place in Stratfield Saye which is just north of Bramley, Hampshire where you can learn all about pole lathing to make such components as chair legs for Windsor Chairs.

Contact me offline for further details about this North Hants. bodging group.

Ken Hume
Ken Hume
Regular

Postby cjrwil » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:45 pm

Hi.

Just started up. I live in North Essex. Looking for clubs etc as well a good sources of materials.

If anyone is in the area let me know!!

Best,

Chris
cjrwil

Location: North Essex (Halstead / Braintree / Colchester / Sudbury)

Postby simon » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:21 pm

Hi Chris, there is a group of the APT that meets at Bradfield Woods most first Sundays of the month. Next one is 7th September. We are a friendly bunch.
http://www.suffolkwildlifetrust.org/res ... ield-woods
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Postby kurtcaddy » Tue Nov 04, 2014 5:35 pm

I am a new member and new to the craft of greenwood working. I have experience with woodworking but I am drawn to the idea of simple furnishing and techniques. I plan to start with branches and twigs and eventually hope to moving toward riving and cleaving chairs from the red oaks that grow in abundance on my property. Thanks in advance for any advice, resources and tool suggestions!
kurtcaddy

Postby Bob_Fleet » Thu Nov 06, 2014 4:13 pm

Hi Kurt
Welcome to the forum.
Best advice is to get involved with anyone local who can point you in the right direction or help.
However, in this forum there is a wealth of information and some of the previous threads answer just that question. Rather than repeat it all I'll point you at the search box at the top right where you'll find well respected greenwood workers have answered.
"Riving" find 134 instances including yours and 'cleaving' 207.
HERE is a good one as an example.
You mention Red Oak which to me makes me think you're on the US side of the pond.
If you put your location in your profile and you might even find a neighbour contacts you or a local group - good advice to everyone.
All the best and looking forward to seeing some finished pics of the oak chairs.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby Jan Krobot » Tue Feb 24, 2015 5:34 pm

Hello to everyone!
As new here, i guess i could introduce myself a little.
So above all i love wood:) many years i've been playing with thought of earn a living by woodworking (at least partialy). Now i finaly decidet to realy try it. I have some bits of experience with wood, i already made few pieces of furniture in my house and now i'm going to start with woodcarving. It is completely new level for me and i feel like standing on doorstep of unknown land, looking forward to what i'll find. So much ahead of me, so much to learn! Wonderfull!
I'm bulding pole lathe, bought a woodcarving knife and begining to learn wood. Allready got three linden spoons:)
I have already many questions to ask in my head which i am going to ask in time. Looking forward to sharing knowledge and experience.
And thank Robin Wood for inspiration
Jan
Jan Krobot
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Thu Feb 26, 2015 8:14 pm

Hi Jan
and welcome, anything we can do just ask. It may take a while for anyone to respond as this forum is not used as much as it was.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Beginner's corner