bodgers ball basket maker

If you want to advertise for a demonstrator or offer your services add your details here

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

bodgers ball basket maker

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:22 am

Who was the basket maker running outdoor workshops at the 2012 BB? he changed my wires life!
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Re: bodgers ball basket maker

Postby gavin » Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:04 pm

Paul Thornton 2sheds wrote:he changed my wires life!

Now that is a comment that makes me curious... Why is the state of your wire's life of interest ?
If it was your wife's life, how was the change to your wife's life made by basket maker?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:58 pm

gavin wrote:
Paul Thornton 2sheds wrote:he changed my wires life!

Now that is a comment that makes me curious... Why is the state of your wire's life of interest ?
If it was your wife's life, how was the change to your wife's life made by basket maker?

Aye, there was a typo there.
She now has been bitten by the basket making bug and i wish to thank him for letting her know she could make things :D
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Postby Richard Irvine » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 pm

I believe it was David Drew from East Cornwall : http://www.helygenbaskets.co.uk/
Richard Irvine

Postby ToneWood » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:45 pm

I like baskets. Unfortunately my fire place is just a bit too small to hold a nice wood basket - there are some excellent ones.

Saw two interesting & distinctive baskets on Robin Wood's stall at Art in Action. Apparently the "Oak Swill" [see below] was made by Owen Jones in the Lake District (not Wales). It is a beautiful object and surprisingly strong, light and rigid - I want one but I don't know what for! :D Maybe a log basket, crib. laundry basket,...
http://www.oakswills.co.uk/
I don't know if Owen made the other basket too but it was a wonderfull large, slim woven back pack - again a thing of considerable beauty and I want one but I don't know what for! However, this time I do know what it is good for. I previously came across somebody that uses one of these in America, to collect large amounts of several different species of premium edible fungi from a major park in California (he dries the fungi for storage). The very large back pack basket he uses is almost identical to the one at the fair near Oxford - I was most surprised, as I had assumed it was probably native American in design & implementation. Baskets are good for collecting fungi for several reasons: they allows spores to spill out & so seed future growth, the rigidity protects the soft fungi bodies and the ventilation stops them going soft & mushy.

Was thinking of planting some basket willows in the garden. I believe there are some special short varieties, once common in cottage gardens. Was hoping my wife might take an interest (as the gardener), she is/was also an experienced weaver (and a pattern cutter).

I am interested also in lobster/crab pots. I have a couple of v. cheap collapsible moderns one - which I have had some success with. It would be nice to be able to design and make my own traditional one though.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Jul 28, 2012 8:51 pm

Darn, no edit button.
America really is the land on plenty. :)
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Demonstrators