RegistrationWhy don't folk put their Location: Website: Occu

If you want to advertise for a demonstrator or offer your services add your details here

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

RegistrationWhy don't folk put their Location: Website: Occu

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:49 am

Why don't folk put their Location: Website: Occupation: & Interests:
when they register ? It's not that hard. What have you got to hide?
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Re: RegistrationWhy don't folk put their Location: Website:

Postby JermyB » Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:47 pm

Robin

When I first registered I'm sure it didn't ask me for my location. When I released that these details were not visable I went to look for the place in which to add these details. I must admit I found it difficult to find the area into which I could enter this detail. I realise this maybe because I'm not the most computer savvy person. This maybe part of the reason why people don't put their location.

I agree in that it is helpful as there are nationally different opinions / standards / measurements etc that if you know the location of the person it may help.
You can always take more off...
JermyB
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Tue Jun 22, 2010 12:10 pm

Some of you might have received a PM from me suggesting you put your location on.
It really is useful when giving advice or trying to see where your local groups might be.
No use suggesting to our friend jrccaim that there is some free wood in Suffolk when he lives in Alaska.
Nice to see folk from everywhere.

If you don't know how to do it, go into the "User Control Panel" then find your "Profile".
Add what information you want others to see but I'd suggest we all put our location in anyway.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby Ted Tuddenham » Tue May 24, 2011 7:25 am

Dear Bob,

Your signature quotation from St Francis of Assisi is so obviously anachronistic that I couldn't help googling it.

According to Wikiquotes "He who works with his hands is a laborer. He who works with his hands and his head is a craftsman. He who works with his hands and his head and his heart is an artist."
was actually composed by Louis Nizer, and published in his book, Between You and Me (1948).

It belongs to the rich treasury of writings attributed to a great personage to give the words authority, a treasury that includes many of the letters listed as by St Paul in the New Testament, the Native American speech about cutting down all the trees and not being able to eat money and so on and on and on.

Another great misquote attributed to St Francis is the serenity prayer

Again according to Wikiquotes "Lord, grant me the strength to change the things I can, the serenity to deal with the things I cannot change, and the wisdom to know the difference.
Widely known as The Serenity Prayer this has often been attributed to St. Francis, but earliest known forms of it appeared in the early 20th century, and it is generally credited to Reinhold Niebuhr."

So to finish I will now add my own prayer (mis)attributed to Marcus Aurelius
" May the gods grant me the luck to find good straight grown wood that splits cleanly free of knots, the strength to cleave and turn it true and the serenity to throw it in the fire when I find it is has split on drying" . Expect to see it turning up in anthologies of wood working sayings. But you read it here first.

Ted-nevertakeitontrust-Tuddenham :twisted:
Fading into well deserved obscurity
Filling a much needed hole
Ted Tuddenham
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Tue May 24, 2011 12:31 pm

Thanks Ted

I can probably blame wiki for that too but the spirit was there.

I gave up on waiting for the Google Earth camera but still recommend looking upwards and smiling, it really disconcerts people.

Changed signature for a recent e-mailed joke.

Some good tree quotes here.

However - maybe Nizer stole it from St F but had better PR.

nevertakeitontrust -

Cheers and thanks

Bob
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Return to Demonstrators