Sourcing Green Wood In France

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Sourcing Green Wood In France

Postby windsortim » Tue Jan 24, 2017 12:08 pm

Hello, I have just moved to France (region 78) and I'm struggling to find a supplier of decent green timber for making some Windsor chairs and other furniture. Ideally, I am after some straight grained, fast grown ash (i.e. 5 rings or less per radial inch) but also elm, oak, chestnut etc. It would be great to get in touch with any other members who might be able to point me in the right direction or perhaps give me some tips for searching?

I could also do with some tips on sourcing firewood. I got a couple of van loads from a local gardener for 50€/m3 but it was not all dry and was mixed species that didn't burn well. I also paid 72€/m3 from a local firewood supplier which was nice dry birch that burnt well but it was expensive & they wouldn't help me source unseasoned wood. I'd be happy to harvest my own but I've emailed the town hall & there are no local woodlands that allow self-harvesting of timber (I read this was possible in some areas!).

Many thanks, Tim.
windsortim

Re: Sourcing Green Wood In France

Postby anobium » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:58 pm

Bienvenue en France. I have been in France for about 20 years (dept 85 La Vendee) during which time I have abused and tortured wood. I suggest you try first a sawmill (scierie) where you may find elm, though difficult. Ash and sweet chestnut are more easily obtainable. They may also sell firewood ideally ash or alder (frene or aulne). You might possibly find elm on leboncoin.fr. Let me know how you get on and I will keep thinking.
anobium
Regular

Postby windsortim » Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:20 pm

Hello, thanks for your reply. I'm not having any luck with my local sawmills (region 78). They are either offering really nice air dried boards or kiln dried firewood but none seem to be able to supply unseasoned logs. Perhaps I need to improve my French! I did find a sawmill in region 50 who offered to save me some small diameter Ash logs in 2m lengths but they have none available at present and it's a 6hr round trip. I will keep researching!
windsortim

Postby anobium » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:39 am

A couple more ideas. Try asking in your local mairie, they might have been felling trees in your area, also try an ad in www.frenchentree. com. This is an Anglo/French site with an enquiry section where people post questions about life in France.
anobium
Regular

Postby windsortim » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:02 am

Thanks - I already tried the Marie without success... I also asked if there were local woodlands to harvest my own timber for firewood but it's not permitted around here. A couple of local gardeners can get random logs but I'm really after a reliable source of nice straight grained woods for furniture making rather than bowl blanks etc. I'll keep trying. Thanks for the web link. I'll try to find some local Tourneurs and Ébénistes to see where they're getting their timber.
windsortim

Return to Sourcing Materials