Irish Wax LInen Thread

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Irish Wax LInen Thread

Postby Christophe » Fri Jul 05, 2013 1:51 pm

Hi Everyone,

I don't know if any of you heard about Crawfords Irish Linen Thread. As the name is supposing it, I would guess it is made in Ireland but, after a intensive (at least that's how I feel about it) research on the internet, I cannot find any supplier other than US shops.
First of all, I would find completely stupid to by something made in Ireland, ship to US then ship back to Europe and also duty taxes are quite a pain.
One thing though, I did find some Europe based sellers ready to sell 10yard for a indecent amount of money, what I'm looking for is the complete 50gr spool.
Anyway, does any of you know a european manufacturer of Waxed LInen Thread? Would anyone mind to share?
Any Swedish linen thread? Anything at all??? :wink:
Thanks for any help

Christophe
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Re: Irish Wax LInen Thread

Postby Shankar » Fri Jul 05, 2013 5:00 pm

Why Irish or Swedish. Try http://www.leprevo.co.uk/threads.htm or http://www.tandyleather.eu/
If its thread for stitching leather you want. You will be tempted by all sorts other things they sell.

Shankar
Shankar
Regular

Postby magnet » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:02 pm

magnet
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:36 am

What is the intended application?

If you want waxed linen thread, source some linen thread unwaxed and wax that. I bought such unwaxed thread from Le Prevo referred to above. I also bought from them the excellent The Art of Handstitching by Al Stohlmann - well worth the £6.95.

Al Stohlman gives very succinct instructions for waxing thread, then cutting it to then thread needles. You only need a thimbleful of beeswax, and a doubled length of thread placed over some handy hook. Then you rub the wax over the thread and end up with waxed thread.

I'd strongly suggest you buy the book for the techniques described are so simple but so useful you'll use them for as long as you wish to sew leather or canvas. I submit that will be occasionally during your entire woodworking career as you acquire tools and wish to protect their edges.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Christophe » Fri Jul 12, 2013 6:12 pm

Hi,

Thanks to everyone, sorry I did not answer before but I was away from internet connection 'til now.
Shankar,
Why Irish or swedish...actually the crawford Irish company has many positive feeback about their top quality products and quite a wide range of colors.
And Swedish because with all the field of linen they have, I thought that they might have something, also craft is still part of every day life over there.
But I'll go with every kind of good quality linen thread.
I went on leprovo, seems interesting but I cannot understand the size, I mean I checked and all this 18/3, 18/4...etc, a part from telling me how much quantity of linen has been processed in how many yards or thread, is not giving me any idea of the thickness of the thread wheter in metric or imperial system....7
Magnet,
I checked algeos but it seems that beeing in Europe is much too international for this people so you have to mail them first...etc etc, I cannot do with this kind of hassle... :roll:
Gavin,
The intended application is sewing leather. Thanks for the book advice, I'll second you on the fact that it is well worth it.

In the end I might have found some polish linen thread, I'll report later on the quality.

Thanks again to the three of you.

One last thing if one of you know the diameter of the different threads sell by lerpovo, I'm all hears :D
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 7:19 pm

India produces linen too. The Scottish linen industry was moved from Scotland to India. They still use the original Victorian machinery from the Scottish factories to process it.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:32 pm

Christophe wrote: if one of you know the diameter of the different threads sell by lerpovo, I'm all hears :D

Just send 'em an e mail and ask. They are very responsive. Tell them your application and ask which thread they suggest. They stock The Art of Handstitching
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Lozzuck » Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:53 pm

gavin wrote:
Christophe wrote: if one of you know the diameter of the different threads sell by lerpovo, I'm all hears :D

Just send 'em an e mail and ask. They are very responsive. Tell them your application and ask which thread they suggest. They stock The Art of Handstitching

Christophe if you want a sample pm me I have some from Leprevo at work accessible on Monday.
Never too old to learn, but often too old to remember
Lozzuck
Regular

Postby Christophe » Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:09 pm

Hi everyone,

Just a quick note to tell you that the people participating in this forum are amazing.
I receive today a sample of leprovo linen thread sent by Lozzuck.
He offered to send me a small sample of linen thread and put inside the instruction on how to wax them.
I sometimes get upset by how the world goes but there is time like today, and thanks to Lozzuck, when I still find hope for us (as human race)
Thanks again Lozzuck for your genuine generosity.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Return to Sourcing Materials