Silver rims for mazers

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Silver rims for mazers

Postby turn4better » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:30 am

I see on Robin Wood's site a number of mazers and quaichs with silver rims. I've been asked about turning something similar here in the States, but have no idea where to source the rims or how to make what appears to be a folded, circular rim to fit a thin-walled bowl. Any thoughts?
turn4better
Regular

Re: Silver rims for mazers

Postby gavin » Mon Jul 08, 2013 10:58 pm

Robin is your man. I understand he had a silver smith make them up and Robin then turned the bowl to suit the silver.
You could - possibly - create a way to spin a disc of silver on your rim. Google ' metal spinning' and you'll get the picture. I have no idea if this would work on pole lathe.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 8:54 pm

I am sorry I share lots of info for free on the web but this took me 4 years to get right with many museum visits and a lot of quite expensive trial and error. I have told a few folk how I do it and Gavin has the gist of it above but I have to make a living and having a few things that I make that other folk are not making yet helps with that. I am always doing development work on new things, there are plenty of other things that were made in the past that no one is making now.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:17 pm

In the USA, the Navajo have a tradition of silversmithing, they might be able to help you. Most of the work that I've seen is either tribal, western, traditional, original or a modern take on one or more of those. However, some have have considerable skill and experience with silver. Whether they can/would/should make a finely finished traditional Scottish-style rim is another matter. But perhaps something uniquely American might have its own appeal - some of the Navajo work is stunning. Hallmarking might be an issue too, in the UK I believe there are strict laws on such things (for gold, silver, platinum & palladium), especially if you plan to sell it. I think I might have met Robin's silversmith but under the circumstances...
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:28 pm

robin wood wrote:I am sorry I share lots of info for free on the web but this took me 4 years to get right with many museum visits and a lot of quite expensive trial and error. I have told a few folk how I do it and Gavin has the gist of it above but I have to make a living and having a few things that I make that other folk are not making yet helps with that. I am always doing development work on new things, there are plenty of other things that were made in the past that no one is making now.

Turn4Better,
There you have it. It strikes me mazer rim fitting is pretty high-end work. If you can already turn beautiful bowls and you want to sell them and you are already doing so, it may reward you to learn how to do the rims. Unless you can turn lovely bowls , there ain't any point learning to decorate even a mediocre one - whether you sell them or no. Reasonably enough, Robin won't give away his learning. He's put in the time and study - he should be rewarded.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Sourcing Materials