OAK COBBLES

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

OAK COBBLES

Postby Mark H » Thu Mar 19, 2015 9:36 am

This is perhaps an enquiry more for commercial wood suppliers but I thought I'd ask. I live above an alley cobbled with oak cobbles, they are brick sized, 3" x 9" x 4", with the 9" x 3" face being the end of the grain. . An area is damaged and I was trying to find someone to supply new ones, about 255. I don't see any reason why they could not be green oak. regards Mark
Mark H
Regular

Re: OAK COBBLES

Postby Simon Hartley » Sat Mar 21, 2015 1:09 pm

Outdoor parquet! Ihad heard of such a thing being used in the past, but didn't know any still existed. Sorry, I can't help with supply, but I am fascinated to know how old the wood is, and can you post a link to any online pictures?
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby AlanE » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:48 pm

Hi Mark
Wooden cobbles are quite common , though now buried under tarmac , they are usually found where quiet was needed .The wheels of metal rimed cart wheels could be loud .Streets in Sheffield near to the site of the old hospitals have them. These were made mainly from greenheart wood and some oak. I have in the past seen floor blocks for workshops , but these where made from soft wood.
hope you can finds some , though I expect they will be dear
AlanE
AlanE
Regular

Postby Mark H » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:32 am

Thanks for the feedback. As far as I know they were used undercover simply because they were cheaper than stone cobbles, the rest of the yard is granite sets. Image
Mark H
Regular

Return to Sourcing Materials