A source in Devon

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

A source in Devon

Postby Stanford Peverill » Sun Feb 07, 2016 3:57 pm

Having difficulty getting regular consistent good sources of green ash in Devon and I may reluctantly have to go far-a-field. Any one help please
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: A source in Devon

Postby Stanford Peverill » Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:08 pm

Come on Devonians I have had 79 hits on this request and NO available ash/etc in Devon. Cant believe that.....!!!! I am not asking for a pint of blood
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby gavin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:49 pm

I suggest you go looking for it - deep shady valleys where it grows straight up for light. Find the landowner or agent and tell him what you want it for - take some item you prepared earlier. Mention money, but usually you'll be given small amounts.

Get yourself a silky saw - so you can easily fell and log tongs to easily extract whatever you purloin.

The road verge is fruitful: i.e. council-owned trees. They won't miss them if they are between any fence and the road.

Have you also chased firewood merchants?
Have you contacted the local power woodturning club?
Have you looked on the Facebook group - e.g. https://www.facebook.com/greenwoodworkshop/ or www.dorsetcoppicegroup.co.uk
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby TonyH » Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:57 pm

gavin wrote:The road verge is fruitful: i.e. council-owned trees. They won't miss them if they are between any fence and the road.

This is possibly much more true in Dumfries that in Devon. Devon's roadside hedges are much prized. We've been up against Devon council and their hedgerows in environment awards for engineering. Take care. Certainly round here in the south east you'd not go unnoticed skulking around the verges with your silky !

Befriending a local tree surgeon can be good, but it got me garden trees - lots of interesting little bits of odd species for bowls etc, but not nice clean straight grained ash.
TonyH
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:45 pm

Thanks for the reply Gavin and TonyH will get looking for 'friendly' tree choppers and loppers.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Thu Mar 03, 2016 2:03 am

Try joining the local Wildlife Trust and volunteering for the practical conservation groups. Some of their jobs involve coppicing or scrub clearance and they are happy to let you take stuff away as it is less to go on the bonfire. TCV may also run sessions in Devon.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

Thanks Simon will consider that idea
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Return to Sourcing Materials