Winchester Cathedral limes

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Winchester Cathedral limes

Postby Simon Hartley » Wed Sep 20, 2017 5:29 pm

I received this email via the Hampshire Coppice Group. Apparently, Winchester Cathedral is thinning out an avenue of lime trees and want to make some use of the wood.

The following mail arrived via one of our group members who was asked if any turners in our group might be able to help this project based at Winchester Cathedral.

From: Sarah Williams Sent: Monday, September 11, 2017 2:37 PM To:Sarah Williams Subject: Wood Turner needed!

Dear Volunteers
As you have probably seen in my previous email, we are removing some of the lime trees outside the Cathedral!
Would anyone be interested in turning some of the beautiful lime wood into crosses, bowls and St Swithuns eggs??

If so, please let me know and I will pass details to Emma, our Head Gardener.
Thank you
Sarah.Williams@winchester-cathedral.org.uk
Sarah Williams
Volunteer Coordinator
Telephone 01962 85 7284

The reference to 'St. Swithun's eggs' derives from a miracle which occurred when Swithun assisted a woman whose basket of eggs was knocked over and broken when she was on her way to market. He made them whole again and she went on her way rejoicing.

Here is the relevant page on the cathedral website: http://www.winchester-cathedral.org.uk/ ... servation/
Simon Hartley
Regular

Return to Sourcing Materials