ferrules

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Postby Fuzzy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 1:19 am

I usually just take short(6~12mm) pieces of pipe of whatever diameter I want and deburr the inside. Copper, brass, aluminum and iron all work well. The only drawback is you've got to turn the handle to the ferrule, but usually I'd expect you'd need to do that anyway. If you're making chisels, you could even make the end of the handle a bit long, soak the wood, and "peen" the end of the fibers down over the ferrule to keep from dinging your mallet. Japanese chisels are made like this, seems like a nice idea.
Fuzzy
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:13 am

You don't need to turn the handle. You can ax it with a carving ax. I worked all this out in a hurry when a hook handle split on me in Norway recently, and I whacked on a ferrule.

Try it, and remember to put a fine slope on the wood first. Then for the last 3 mm put a broader slope on - like a primary and secondary bevel on a knife blade.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:49 am

gavin wrote:You don't need to turn the handle. You can ax it with a carving ax...

I should have added that this technique is better suited to a 'split-stopping' ferrule at the bottom of the handle. It may not work so well for the top end of the handle where you strike it with a mallet.

The carving ax I use is a Gransfors.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Previous

Return to Sourcing Materials