Lime from the roadside - use or ignore?

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Lime from the roadside - use or ignore?

Postby Bertie » Sat May 23, 2009 2:46 pm

"The designer, looking for something original, can rest assured that whatever he comes up with, if its any good at all, has been done, near enough, before. If it is really 100% original it will be hideous, which is why so much modern design is hideous.
Indeed when someone talks about modern design, you know before you see it, its going to be bald, banal and boring like the modern office block, often because the better things of the past were made when materials were cheap and there were plenty of highly skilled craftsmen – also cheap.
So much of the sneering about richly ornate designs of the past – especially in architecture – is really sour grapes. How they’d love the opportunity to do so lavishly today! So to make a virtue out of necessity and kid themselves that it’s good when anyone can see its kitsch!"
A little quote from Bill jones
i did not take that origional quote about bowl design from a manual or a book, its simply what i felt.
Bill has a point of view and its just as good as anyones elses, but the difference is he uses words to express a strong feeling which in many of us has built up over the years - however im not saying i agree with him.
Craftsmanship as well as artistry needs to be free, even down to making something to sell, otherwse our real creatives are stifled.
Cheers
Bertie
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon May 25, 2009 7:45 am

Above you'll read Bertie's comments:
Bertie wrote: "a good bowl will have no features or decoration - it will subscribe to the latest fashion dimentions so that we can judge if he or she is fit to be called one of us"

and later ...
Bertie wrote: i did not take that quote from a manual or a book, its simply what i felt.

I will admit Bertie's use of quotation marks did confuse me. A common convention is to report and attribute remarks of others within quotation marks. To put your own feelings & thoughts in quotation marks confuses their origin. I request we stick to convention.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Bertie » Mon May 25, 2009 2:10 pm

Quite right, however ive been a professional turner for over 35 years and met a large amount of predjudice concerning decoration and design - thus Bills quote - thus my mention of what a bowl design should be like - ive allways felt for instance that throwing away most of the wood is a waste of material so most of my work is pretty thick - at one time if you wanted to sell, it had to be thin. I was putting in quotes what i and many others thought, not what somebody said - apologies if that was obscure.
mmm, is there a neat way of doing that?
Bertie
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Mon May 25, 2009 9:27 pm

Could try italics
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Previous

Return to Sourcing Materials