Hazel bean pole's in Perthshire

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Hazel bean pole's in Perthshire

Postby RangerKris » Sun Apr 12, 2009 6:22 am

This is for someone on another forum that i use,someone here might be able to help. if you can please let me know and i will pass on details.

Anyone know where's best to buy Uk ethically sources beanpoles (coppiced hazel etc)? Im struggling to find anything in local garden centres or on internet and refuse to buy imported, dubiously cut canes!
RangerKris
Regular

Re: Hazel bean pole's in Perthshire

Postby robin wood » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:54 am

Personally I think bamboo is wonderful stuff, grows at an incredible rate, lasts many many years outside without rotting and I have not heard of any environmentally damaging production methods, though I am sure the folk that cut it don't get paid UK wages and it is transported round the world. It would be interesting to see a proper audit on the carbon input to cutting, extracting, delivering hazel beanpoles that last 2 or 3 seasons compared to bamboo which does 10. Not that I don't support using locally sourced produce and particularly if it is helping put money into a good woodland management regime just I am prepared to look at other options and bamboo is incredible stuff.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Sun Apr 12, 2009 12:12 pm

Well yes, bamboo is pretty amazing.
But nothing quite beats the rustic quality of local Hazel, or birch or ash...
I have heard of some people saying that Hazel is better because the rough surface makes it easier for beans to climb, and the shiny surface of bamboo means they're more likely to slip off, but I have my doubts.
The simple fact is that we should be making an effort to support local produce and local employment.
They are not cheap though, £5 for 10 poles is the going rate...you could probably get 100 bamboo rods for that.

I can supply Bean Poles in the Manchester area, and also in the North Lancashire/south Cumbria areas too.
But it's a bit late for bean pole orders now, we've just delivered 400 and that's almost all this year's suitable material used up.
If you get an order in early next year then you can have some, preferably by the end of Feb.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby SteveW » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:31 pm

monkeeboy wrote:Well yes, bamboo is pretty amazing.
But nothing quite beats the rustic quality of local Hazel, or birch or ash...
I have heard of some people saying that Hazel is better because the rough surface makes it easier for beans to climb, and the shiny surface of bamboo means they're more likely to slip off, but I have my doubts.
The simple fact is that we should be making an effort to support local produce and local employment.
They are not cheap though, £5 for 10 poles is the going rate...you could probably get 100 bamboo rods for that.

I can supply Bean Poles in the Manchester area, and also in the North Lancashire/south Cumbria areas too.
But it's a bit late for bean pole orders now, we've just delivered 400 and that's almost all this year's suitable material used up.
If you get an order in early next year then you can have some, preferably by the end of Feb.

Not in Focus you wouldn't I had to pay £5.00 for six last year... :shock:
SteveW
Regular

Postby RangerKris » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:18 am

Like i say this stuff is not for me, i have hazel i would use if i needed it. the allotment thing is all new to me much like polelathe turning ahahaha ive had a real change in lifestyle this last 9 months and it for the better im sure. i will pass on this message to the other forum that i use. Im all for supporting local craft and produce thats why i asked here as i thought someone might know.

Thanks
RangerKris
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:53 pm

Has the word gone out about National Beanpole Week - 25 April - 3 May 2009 ?? - celebrating the humble hazel beanpole!

Details on the Green Wood Centre's website - http://www.greenwoodcentre.org.uk/National_Beanpole_Week.htm
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Return to Sourcing Materials