buckleberry bowls! (picture heavy!)

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

buckleberry bowls! (picture heavy!)

Postby grinagog » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 pm

Hello all,
I had a suprise when I went to see my friend in Wales the other day.
She showed me some wooden bowls that her grandmother had given her many years ago, and she said that they were from the last of the buckleberry bowl turners!
I knew I had heard of them from reading my copy of Robin Woods book "the Wooden bowl" And after a quick search on the net I discovered that they indeed could have been turned by George Lailey himself, maybe?
Does anyone know just how many of these bowls are around, or have any other info about them?

Its so funny, here am I just getting into turning bowls the traditional way, and my very close friend having some old classics!

She has two, here is the first large bowl..
02.jpg
02.jpg (90.49 KiB) Viewed 9612 times

01.jpg
01.jpg (72.28 KiB) Viewed 9612 times

03.jpg
03.jpg (68.5 KiB) Viewed 9612 times

And here is the smaller bowl, with writing on the back! "from the last of the buckleberry bowl turners"

08.jpg
08.jpg (91.44 KiB) Viewed 9612 times

07.jpg
07.jpg (164.74 KiB) Viewed 9612 times

p.s. the white marks on the outside of the bigger bowl (about 11" across!) I am told is flour...because her granny used to kneed the dough for bread with them, she used them a lot!
strive to survive causing least suffering possible
grinagog
Regular

Re: buckleberry bowls! (picture heavy!)

Postby robin wood » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:09 pm

Yes they are clearly Lailey's I suspect he made more than 60,000 during his working life and there are still quite a few about.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby forestdesigns » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:27 am

Robin...can you tell us how you know these were made by George Lailey? Personally I´m curious but completely ignorant.
Danny Ellis
forestdesigns
forestdesigns
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:25 am

He made so many and Robin has quite a few and has studied them quite closely, so his style becomes instantly recognisable. Even I can recognise them now, but couldn't put into words what it is. Robin might be able to describe some of the identifying features but some of it is just a tacit recognition of someone else's craftsmanship. (In a similar way my mum often spots Rob's bowls on the TV when there are re-enactors doing stuff!)

I am sure the same goes for identifying the paintings of the old masters. People who have studied them will have a feeling when they see some dusty painting that has been dragged from an attic of the hand that painted it. They will be able to identify a certain number of specific features that others could recognise, but much of the recognition is based on a whole load of factors that it is very difficult to explain to someone else.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:44 pm

I came across an interesting article on George Lailey of Buckleberry this week and was trying to find out more about his bowls - should have known this forum would have something :). I come across old wooden bowls from time-to-time in charity shops/car boot sales and it occurs to me I should keep an eye out for them, as Buckleberry is not that far away. Is the coarse exterior texture shown above typical? Love the rustic appearance of those shown above.
Last edited by ToneWood on Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:34 pm

ToneWood wrote: Is the coarse exterior texture shown above typical?

I don't think so - but Robin Wood is the man whose voice is most informed. Certainly you don't seek a rough surface if you can avoid that.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:50 pm

These are pretty typical Lailey bowls, defining features are
elm
dry not oiled or waxed though occasionally you do find one that has been oiled
that bead about 2/3 of the way up the outside.
tool marked finish
there are still lots of them out there and I am sure every year plenty get thrown out when old folks die and their kids don't think they are nice enough to send to the charity shop.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Return to Bowl turning