Saw some interesting spoons today

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Saw some interesting spoons today

Postby nic » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:01 am

went to the local museum with the Kids today- saw these spoons. I really liked the style of the eating spoons, probably because certain elements are found in the spoons designs that I have been playing with. Also some in horn, also some magnificantly thin ladles- could see that the round one had been turned, I would guess that the centre one had been too, it had been sanded.

I took these behind glass but the museum is happy for me to go back and handle these- I want to have a closer look at the bent knife, is made from a file. If any of the spoons are of interest I could get better photos?

last picture shows some of the spoons I have been carving; top one shows what I don't like, a curved bowl much prefer the lines of a straight bowl leading into a curved handle. Thing is I almost certainly saw the spoons in the museum a few years back so 'my' designs may just be dim memories of these.

nic
Regular

Re: Saw some interesting spoons today

Postby gavin » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:52 am

When you write that you don't like a 'curved bowl' - do you mean you don't like a curved rim on the bowl?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:14 pm

Great , thanks for posting the pics. Those ladles are amazing.
I am going to disagree with you, I prefer the top spoon in the photo of the spoons you posted. Being influenced by Barn I have been making quite a few spoon bowls with curved bowls and I like that design feature, and I love Barns spoons. But this is personal taste. Nice spoons you have made.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby nic » Fri Jan 27, 2012 1:06 am

Thanks Sean,
It is just personal taste and as I don't sell my spoons one I can happily indulge. When I have tried a curve it has always made my spoons look dumpy were the handle meets the bowl, but then I am a fan of delicate- the ladles I love for that reaon.
nic
Regular

Postby nnykamp » Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:35 pm

Now I'm assuming the larger spoons in nic's first photo are horn. Does anyone know how you get horn to bend? Boiling? Steaming?
nnykamp
Regular

Postby TimFox » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:02 pm

I think you'll find that boiling the horn will suffice for bending. I suggest that you do it either outside or in a ventilated area - boiled horn can smell something rotten!
TimFox

Return to Greenwood crafts