Shaving horses

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Shaving horses

Postby Davie Crockett » Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:50 pm

I've just made a shave horse for my son loosely based on the example Witt posted. But instead of the numerous slots, I used a canvas belt to limit the travel. The belt uses a double D buckle and is really easy to adjust, it also allows a little flexibility in the clamp when applying pressure to thin spindles.
The slot is about 2'6" so it can accommodate things like axe handles and you can work the whole length.
Shave horse.jpg
Shave horse.jpg (115.62 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

Shave horse 2.jpg
Shave horse 2.jpg (97.18 KiB) Viewed 2487 times

The headstock. I intend to place a spike centre on the datum mark.
Last edited by Davie Crockett on Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Apr 28, 2012 6:15 am

Wow man - now that IS clever!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks Gavin... :) I went to bed one night cogitating on how to get over cutting loads of slots, which with this piece of pine scrap would have seriously weakened the bed of the horse. Then woke up at 2 in the morning with the solution. Simple and effective.

Very pleased with the result! I hope my son will be too (Birthday present).
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby witt » Wed May 09, 2012 10:18 am

in the same spirit of conception and of use as well :
[Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]
witt
Regular

Postby witt » Wed May 09, 2012 11:00 am

To SeanHellmann, not a bench but does it involve the system you refered to ?
[Image

Uploaded with ImageShack.us][/img]
witt
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 09, 2012 1:49 pm

Saw a video of a chap using one of those on youtube. I think it was the (modern but) black & white bygone one of a bloke making a long axe handle, starting with a log. It is only shown briefly - used while refining the shape of the handle. This one (I think): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=boQAls1QJB8
ToneWood
Regular

Postby 81stBRAT » Wed May 09, 2012 1:55 pm

Yes use a similar type of device to make handles, just note on the left hand side there is what looks to be a metal piece if not covered bang goes your edge on the draw knife
Richard
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby witt » Wed May 09, 2012 2:36 pm

I suppose that he who uses this device works the surface of the handle from upside, not downside. The metal piece shouldn't be a problem then.
witt
Regular

Postby 81stBRAT » Thu May 10, 2012 5:00 pm

Simple to procted your edge by covering the metal, not simple if you have a contact however unlikely.
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby witt » Thu May 10, 2012 6:06 pm

Yes, however commonplace my view of the "simple" may have been, you seem to have combined it somewhat with the art of prudential activities.
witt
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Sat May 12, 2012 4:00 am

Davie Crockett wrote:I've just made a shave horse for my son loosely based on the example Witt posted. But instead of the numerous slots, I used a canvas belt to limit the travel. The belt uses a double D buckle and is really easy to adjust, it also allows a little flexibility in the clamp when applying pressure to thin spindles....

Bravo! I am blown away. What a neat idea. I will remember it. This is a truly original idea, using straps as a length control/tensioning device. Very nice. Hmm, maybe I could adapt it to bowls... endless possibilities. Could use any kind of strap. Just picked up some woven nylon off a trash heap. Would work fine. Used to wrap stuff around pallets. Would work fine. Even comes with a (no doubt patent) tensioning device. Do not be afraid to copy a patented device, but be sure you don't try to sell it.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 12, 2012 8:59 am

Double-D rings are surprisingly secure. I have an old French Galibier climbing helmet that is secured by a double-D ring buckle, works well, very smooth, strong and easy to tighten. Recently I see them being used as belt buckles but I've noticed a lot of Brits (including my older brother!) don't know how to thread them properly; excess spare belt length seems to compound the confusion :D. [The left-hand one above is threaded properly.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Jul 14, 2012 1:27 pm

The Smarthead shaving horse designed by Peter Galbert

There is not often a big advance in the design of tools, but this design is fantastic especially for people like me who do a whole range of stuff on the horse and need a quick adjustment in the size of grip.

Peters videos and designs for this horse can be found in his blog and also in newer posts. He includes plans so have a look at his site.http://chairnotes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/06/smarthead-shavehorse.html

smarthead-1.jpg
smarthead-1.jpg (76.47 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

smarthead-2.jpg
smarthead-2.jpg (79.08 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

smarthead-post-2.jpg
smarthead-post-2.jpg (78.53 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

smarthead-detail.jpg
smarthead-detail.jpg (65.75 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

smarthead-detail-2.jpg
smarthead-detail-2.jpg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 13443 times

I can adjust the head within seconds to take big wood or small spindles. This is great when making spoons and spatulas on the shave horse. The grip is great and the mechanism stands up very well to heavy work. I found it simple to make and all you need is a plank of wood and a jigsaw. I know Richard Law is making one at the moment and I look forward to his experience and look of his horse. This is not going to be for everyone, but I love it.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Kevin Downing » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:47 pm

Sean,
Great photos. What type of wood did you use?
Kevin
Kevin Downing
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Jul 15, 2012 8:57 pm

You can use anything, but the denser and tougher the better, for the ratchet anyway. I used ash, notice how the teeth are inline with the grain so there is great strength, no cross grain.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Tools