European dovetail joints - mortice and tenon legs

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

European dovetail joints - mortice and tenon legs

Postby gavin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:16 am

Here's the youtube link for some video I have secured of someone claiming to be Prof Simon Weetabix, Prof of Bone Age Dating, Uni of Bratislava. He shows how he makes Romanian dovetail joints.

( Prof Weetabix may be related to Mr Will Wall!)

As this is my first attempt at posting a link for a video, it may not work.
If it does not, and you happen to know what I have done wrong, please let me know!
You could always search youtube.com for "making Greenwood joints - Romanian Dovetail method" - if it does not work.

try this link for Part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0tjKVHrC8Q
or for Part 2 - tweaking the joint: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqGai3493L4
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:29 am

Those joints are great. Robin used them to make some three legged chopping blocks and we usually keep one in the front room - we use it as a coffee table when we're not spoon carving!

Out of interest, what did you do about gaining permission to do filming at the Bodger's Ball? When I first started I obtained a copy of the University's standard media permission form and it was so horrific I thought I'd never get anyone to sign it. I persuaded them I needed to write my own form to cover other aspects of the research and made it look less frightening.

I've been wondering about the best way of dealing with this for filming outside my research so would be interested to know what you're doing.
Nicola
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:09 pm

great stuff gavin, i was wondering how they where done.
paul atkin
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:35 pm

Nicola Wood wrote:Out of interest, what did you do about gaining permission to do filming at the Bodger's Ball?

I just asked Will if he'd mind if he was filmed for youtube.
I sought no one else's permission. Under what conditions could that be necessary?
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:04 pm

gavin wrote:I just asked Will if he'd mind if he was filmed for youtube.
I sought no one else's permission. Under what conditions could that be necessary?

Well firstly if someone is demonstrating it's only polite to ask if they mind you videoing. Many people (me included) find it rather off-putting. It's stressful enough demonstrating to the public and that someone is recording cranks up the stress levels.

Then, if you're going to put that video in a public place you have to make sure they're ok with it. If it's someone you know well then a verbal agreement is fine, but if not then as a professional I couldn't risk someone coming back to me saying they'd never made the agreement. I know the worst they are likely to do is ask me to take the video down, but I'd rather not put myself in that position.

The next stage on is if you're actually going to use the video for financial gain, then it's clearly in your interests to get a signed agreement first. I'm not at that stage yet, but I'll probably dig out the scary looking University one if I do!
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:43 pm

Nicola Wood wrote:
The next stage on is if you're actually going to use the video for financial gain, then it's clearly in your interests to get a signed agreement first.

- I quite agree.
- Would it be sufficient to first ask someone something like these words before you commence filming: "Do you mind if I use these video images for profit?" and then to actually video them as you ask the question again?
- This would save the bother of keeping signed agreements in paper files for ever, because you'd have the agreement embedded in the video.
- Do you know if large institutions (e.g. your university) set down an official policy that you MUST have written agreements before filming?
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Sun Jun 15, 2008 10:47 am

gavin wrote:Would it be sufficient to first ask someone something like these words before you commence filming: "Do you mind if I use these video images for profit?" and then to actually video them as you ask the question again?
- This would save the bother of keeping signed agreements in paper files for ever, because you'd have the agreement embedded in the video.

This is not sufficient because you can't prove understanding. Someone could quite rightly claim they were busy, distracted and didn't understand what you meant or simply felt under pressure to say yes. It's a bit like a cold calling sales pitch for which, because of this problem, nowadays there is a compulsory cooling off period. I think it would be bad practice and bad manners!

gavin wrote:- Do you know if large institutions (e.g. your university) set down an official policy that you MUST have written agreements before filming?

They do for both still images and video because of the recognition that they may contain an element of intellectual property. We want people to share with us for research purposes safe in the knowledge that nothing will go out into the public domain that they aren't happy with.

When I filmed at Owen's (the bladesmith) we had an agreement he could say at any time if there was anything he didn't want me to film. He actually never asked me not to film but there were some things he asked me not to make public. I then gave him first view of the youTube clip before making it public just to be sure. (He loved it, but reckoned he sounded like Jamie Oliver :lol: )

Whenever Robin's been filmed for TV he's always had a complicated document to sign giving the TV company rights to do what they like with the images.
Nicola Wood
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:16 am

When I worked for the National Trust they used to have official photographers who came out and did photos of us working occasionally. Anyone who was in a photo had to sign a form and was paid £1 and that is going back nearly 20 years, I recently saw a photo of a friend taken back then used in a government report on woodland management, I suspect they still have Martin's consent signature on file.

I enjoyed seeing Will's demo by the way, I was doing a spooncarving demo whilst he was doing that so it was nice to see how someone else does those joints.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Mark Allery » Mon Jun 16, 2008 10:18 am

I have found that most independent TV companies or photographers have a pad of A5 sized simple consent forms when they are making their documentaries or news items. They are not frightening and there is usually somebody helpful (bag person?) whose job it is to ensure that the forms are signed and gathered in. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me that public organisations have an altogether more frightening version which seems to put off both those trying to film and those being filmed........

cheers

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
Mark Allery
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts