Green wood carving books?

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Green wood carving books?

Postby ToneWood » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:16 pm

Somebody already mentioned on a dedicated thread that they had gotten hold of a German-language version of Wille Sundqvist's book. Well, it just popped up, new, on Amazon.co.uk too for £21.37! Seems odd, with most of the world speaking English these days (and with most/many Germans having excellent English):

"Schwedische Schnitz-Schule.: Arbeiten mit Messer und Axt" - Wille Sundqvist

Time to brush up of the high school German? (I'm guessing the title is something like: "Swedish Carving/Craft School: Working with knife and Axe" and that this is basically the same book as "Swedish Carving Techniques" - but I could be wrong).

Google books preview of German version: http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=qgZS ... st&f=false
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 7 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:51 am

It is exactly the same. Good deal too! :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Mar 15, 2012 3:41 pm

So maybe I could improve my German, while learning green wood carving (+making my own bowlmate and workbench, and learning to sharpen with a binocular microscope ;D).

Came across this book, on wood carving, not greenwood -specific but it covers some of the same topics (see the "Look Inside"-feature to preview):
"How to Carve Wood: A Book of Projects and Techniques (Fine Woodworking Book)" - by Rick Butz

Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Came across this on ebay (2 copies of the ebook CD available) - appears to be craft projects: Guide to Elementary Sloyd and Whittling CD Book

My father used to have a lovely old linen covered hard back book of wooden toy projects with black and white photos, we used to enjoy looking through that - probably still around somewhere.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Follansbee » Sat Mar 24, 2012 2:37 am

[quote="ToneWood"]
I found that book: Country Woodcraft - Drew Langser[/url]
He's the chap with the US website that I keep referencing, because it has, I think, good advice on selecting tools - and it sells Hans Karlsson tools (although in the UK Woodland Craft Supplies makes more sense). I believe his place is probably where that Jogge Sundqvist video was filmed. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he owns Taunton Press too. Small world. One or two guys can really make a difference in this field.

Ahh - I had to chuckle when reading this. Drew is a good friend of mine, & while he owns a farm in Western North Carolina, and a pickup truck, a couple of small sailboats and a dog named Smoky, he does not own Taunton Press. That is a publishing company/empire started in the mid-1970s with the magazine Fine Woodworking. Later they added Fine Homebuilding, one about fiber arts called Threads & others too...one about cooking I think.

But Drew indeed runs the school Country Workshops, where Wille & Jogge Sundqvist have both taught a number of times, and yes, Jogge's video was shot there. I was there the week they shot it, it was quite a scene. Drew continues to teach spoon & bowl carving there, more than 30 years since Wille's first class there.

Someone else commented that Jogge did not mention drying the spoon between the rough shaping & the finish cuts...but didn't he wipe it with a boiled potato to prevent checking while it dried? It's been a while since I watched the disc...

In reading the intro to the Taunton Press edition of Wille's book - it says it's revised from the Swedish version. Not sure where the German version comes in...

Not too long ago, Drew had an article in the British magazine Living Woods (did I get the title right?) it's on the website http://www.countryworkshops.org
I hope this helps
PF
Follansbee
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:32 pm

Wow, thanks Peter - that's a wonderful insight :). Living history. Probably good to clear up the Taunton Press thing. Jogge does indeed say something about potatoes in the spoon section. I think he may say something about it in the intro section at the beginning too (I'll need to watch it again though :)) - if not, he certainly mentions it later with respect to bowls, when he switches from the bowl he just carved to a 2 week old bowl to demonstrate his finishing techniques.

I must say, I'm getting an enormous amount of satisfaction out of this bodging/greenwood working/Swedish carving - far more than I ever expected. Any day when I manage to gather, chop, or carve wood, or handle/sharpen the tools, I feel happy/content.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:37 am

Peter, I took a look at your amazing website, http://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/, (is that other link in your signature wrong?) - 17th Century joined (and carved) furniture. I was surprised and delighted to see that there is someone who still has those skills. Did you pick the most the difficult and labor intensive path you could think of? :) Exceptionally nice spoons too.

I see you depend on reference material for the period. I'll keep my eyes open for you - there a several large stately homes in the area that might well have such pieces documented (they might be interested in your work).

(Will the Gransfors Swedish carving axe work for removing the cellophane from your book - or is it only possible with a German hewing hatchet? :D).
Image Image
Book --****-- DVD
Last edited by ToneWood on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:02 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 30, 2012 10:57 pm

I like the modern look of this book (pity there is no "look inside" for it) - seems well liked by reviewers too:Sculpting in Wood (Basics of Sculpture) - by Peter Clothier
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat Apr 14, 2012 11:28 am

Just came across this other 2 DVD set featuring Jogge Sunqvist - tempted but rather too much £££ :(: http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Pr ... ist+DVD+1/
More cheaply: free promo on youtube, Country Workshops with Jogge Sundqvist
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:39 pm

ToneWood wrote:This book looks interesting but extraordinarily expensive for some reason: "Living Wood: From Buying a Woodland to Making a Chair" [Paperback] - Mike Abbott (Author), Tamsin Abbott (Illustrator)

I like the illustrated style, line drawings, reminds me of the various illustrated books by/for the Scouts back in the 1970s, sadly now out of print. They were excellent, inexpensive, easy to access, packed with interesting ideas, projects, techniques and advice.
I just noticed that Matt at Woodland Craft Supplies offers this book at much less than half the price currently listed on Amazon: http://www.woodlandcraftsupplies.co.uk/ ... ucts_id=44
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 09, 2012 9:14 pm

ToneWood wrote:...
Anybody read this book: "Carving in Wood [Hardcover]" by David Green (Author)

I caved in and bought a cheap used copy of the above book. Despite being hardback and described as in good condition, a whole section was unglued when it arrived :(. The content I've flipped through so far has been uninspiring (this forum has v. similar information that is fuller/broader, more up to date, interactive and colourful - hard to compete with really) but there are several interesting tables in the back on different types of wood that is very interesting. I need to spend more time with it really to be fair, it deserves more careful consideration but its not inspiring me to read it - perhaps I've been spoilt by the WWW and modern books (like those beautiful DK books).
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed May 09, 2012 9:34 pm

ToneWood wrote:...
Celebrating Birch: The Lore, Art and Craft of an Ancient Tree - by Greg Wright
Unfortunately, it appears, the day of £159/$250 (new) paperback book has arrived :(

Wow - the price appears to have fallen dramatically to a more realistic £11.15 new (perhaps somebody saw this thread!).
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue May 29, 2012 1:37 pm

Managed to fix the above book, with some very careful gluing of page edges & using my homemade Kolrosing knife as a book-binding tool! Quite a neat job really.

Came across this French axe book & was surprised to see Amazon uk have it listed:

"Les Haches by Daniel Boucard"

I think the cover shot is brilliant but you know what they say about judging books by their covers...
(Saw an axe like the one on left for sale recently.)
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon May 27, 2013 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby nic » Tue May 29, 2012 2:11 pm

I'd buy it for the cover shot alone.
nic
Regular

Postby Andrew » Tue May 29, 2012 2:16 pm

I think that's the same guy who was selling his vast axe collection mentioned by Witt in another thread, so maybe you could buy some of those wonderful looking tools!
Andrew
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Greenwood crafts