Peter Follansbee's new stool book out in the UK

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Peter Follansbee's new stool book out in the UK

Postby robin wood » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:36 am

I don't know how many folk know Peter Follansbee's work but everyone here should. Greenwood chairmaking has a very long history and we only dabble in a small part of the more recent history. The largest part is frame furniture with mortice and tenon joints. It is not commonly known but these were originally made from green wood and the jointing system designed to cope with movement just like a miniature timber framed house.

It seems a shame that serious research and experimentation on this subject is only going on in the US, who in the UK is going to take up this wonderful area of work and become our UK expert? They would have far easier access to far more original pieces than Peter has had for his research and there is good demand from museums for good quality replica work.

Anyway if you want to be that person or if you just want to have a fascinating insight into a related but different form of green woodworking I am sure this book will be a gem. It's only just out in the UK no one knows about I haven't even got my copy yet, it it's available here.
http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... ooks-.html
and for those that don't know Peter's work and want a taster before ordering check out his blog http://pfollansbee.wordpress.com/
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Re: Peter Follansbee's new stool book out in the UK

Postby Mike Abbott » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:58 pm

Hang on a minute here Rob.
I may be erratic, unreliable and an awkward old bugger at times BUT I have pretty well devoted my last 15 years to exploring making green wood frame chairs, one of which you use at home regularly, I believe!
However, I am very grateful for you making me aware of Peter's book, which I must obtain immediately. I assume this includes a lot of input from our mutual friend John/Jennie Alexander, and I'm sure it will contain a great deal of useful info.
I hope I'll have a copy in time for Spoonfest.
It's about time someone in the UK produced a book on making spoons eh! (apart of course from Eric Rogers).
Please be aware I have a smile on my face as I write this.
All the best, Mike
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby Mike Abbott » Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:12 pm

OK Rob,
Sorry - I've just checked out Peter's site and see that this is the book that Jennie was working on years ago when she was still John. It is indeed quite a different type of frame furniture from the chairs and it would be an interesting avenue to explore in the UK.
I still plan to get a copy.
See you in Aug.
Mike Abbott
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:00 pm

Yes the book is about joined furniture with rectangular mortise and renin joints. In the uk everyone who does this sort of work does it in the Victoriam manner with dry wood and tight joints and glue. The original furniture was made from green or part dried wood and draw bored joints just like a miniature timber framed building. Shame mo one is doing it here yet but hope Peters book will inspire some
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Frudd » Mon Oct 23, 2017 1:52 pm

Is that the book titled 'Make a Joint Stool from a Tree'?
Frudd
Regular

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange