How to post pictures

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

How to post pictures

Postby voodooalpaca » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:33 am

This is an updated thread, Once I figure out how I will make this sticky.

At the bottom of the page you can click on "Upload attachment", as i have done here. you do have to watch the file size and resolution (They are limited to 256k at the moment).

You can add them into your text, so you could add 3 or 4 and type round them. once uploaded there is the option (just below the text box) to "place inline" - click this and it will place some code where your cursor is which will be your picture.

billhook.jpg
billhook.jpg (1.7 KiB) Viewed 4058 times

Loading them like this also means that the picture is stored here, when you use photobucket or flickr etc. and the url changes (or you delete the picture or your account) the post looks a bit odd as the pictures vanish.

PICTURE SIZE
If you keep your pictures to around 600pixels wide by about 400pixels high then the whole image will be visible, any larger and scroll bars will appear, like this

IMG_4179.jpg
IMG_4179.jpg (137.02 KiB) Viewed 4058 times

If you send a picture with massive pixel size we will only see it through a letterbox, which is a little annoying!

How to resize pictures

A simple way to resize your pictures - if you are using windows then use "windows explorer" and "right click" (the mouse button you don't mormally use) on the picture (or pictures) select "Send to", then "mail recipient". it will then pop up a screen asking what picture size - select "small" if you want to avoid scroll bars, or medium if you want to show the detail. Click "attach" - windows will then create an email with the (much smaller) picture attached. if you double click the picture you can open it and select "File" and "Make a copy" - save it somewhere and do not overwrite your original picture!

Of course there are many other ways to do this, here are a few suggestions from others on this forum

Mspaint (i.e. Windows Paint):
Postby Tonewood:
* Select the best rectangle of the image and press Crop
* Resize so vertical dimension is 350 pixels (this usually avoids the need for scroll bars when it is displayed)
* Save as a jpeg (smaller than .PNG)
I have fancier image software on my old PC & some utilities that came with my camera but the above seems quicker & simpler.

Come to think of it Microsoft have a free utility for resizing multiple images at once. Probably this "Power toy":
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-pictures/is-there-an-image-resizer-for-windows-7-as-there/3e7b6f6d-eae8-4580-a92f-4a375016dd4c
voodooalpaca
Regular

Postby Nicola Wood » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:41 am

Postby Nicola Wood » Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:35 pm
An avatar is the little picture that appears above your name - mine's currently a spoon ->

If you have basic image editing software on your computer you can make your own on there if you know enough to shrink an image to no more than 80 pixels by 80 pixels with a file size of less than 6kb. If you use Adobe Photoshop try the 'save for web' option. It magically reduces file size with hardly any loss of quality! If you find resizing images difficult there are plenty of free web sites that will do the job for you; put "create avatar" into Google and away you go!

Once you have your image, in the links up at the head of this page click on "User Control Panel" , in the tabs across the top click "Profile" then select the "Edit avatar" option from the list down the side. You can then upload it from your computer onto the forum by clicking the "browse" button and if you're successful the image should then appear where it says "current image".
Nicola Wood
Regular

Re: How to post pictures

Postby Brian Williamson » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 am

voodooalpaca wrote:If you keep your pictures to around 600pixels wide by about 400pixels high then the whole image will be visible, any larger and scroll bars will appear

Someone else (Tonewood?) suggested 350 pixels high avoided scroll bars. I tried this in my last upload and was still getting scroll bars (though only just). So I edited down to 340 pixels and all the scroll bars went.

There are certainly times when you want big pictures, but I prefer to avoid scroll bars on the whole.

I have something in my camera's software which lets me resize.

Brian.
Last edited by Brian Williamson on Fri Jun 15, 2012 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:44 pm

I tried sending a pic to myself and got it magically resized - nice trick
We have a page where visitors can post their own pictures on the Wooplaw Woodland site.
Again size is limited so we've got a link to a website which allows you to resize your pics.
(There are others available etc............................)
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Wed Jul 04, 2012 4:49 am

Picture size limitation is reasonable. Nobody has an infinite amount of storage space. So Bodger's and every other board has to impose some limit on it. There are many tricks to resize images. Maybe your camera is the first place to start. If you think of it ahead of time perhaps you can do it that way from scratch. Thing is, resolution and storage trade off. The higher the resolution the higher the storage requirement.

To complicate the picture, so to say, there is image format you have to deal with. If we all used RGB (red-green-blue) format, there would be a simple formula: LxWxD = storage. Here L is length of image, horizontal; W is width, vertical, D is the number of colors. An 8D color depth is 256 colors. If this were the only thing we had to worry about, well the LxWx256 would be the end of it. Only two things to worry about, L and W.

But you didn't think it would end there, did you? No. Just like shaving a log, there is more on the way. Long ago people realized that for an averge picture RGB is a waste of space, big time. The eye can not distinguish between closely spaced colors. So indexed formats were invented; typical formats are jpg, gif, and png. These formats assign an arbitrary number to color mixes in some way (indexing). Recall colors can be specified as so much red, so much blue, so much green. So by choosing one number to hold a color range, these formats compress the image. The compression depends entirely on the picture itself. So from LxWxD we go to LxWx? And we don't know what ? is. So until we take the shot, we don't know how much storage it will take.

And even then we may have to resize. OK, you say, why don't you tell me how to do it and stop blathering? I say, because I want you to understand the problem, that's why. Then you have the elements to deal with any problem yourself. Specially since I don't use Windows at all. I would sooner hollow out a bowl with a router than use Microsoft Windows. And I have taught many a course in Windows, and I detest it. So you are stuck with MS-Windows, what do you do? If you paid your money for Adobe PhotoShop you can use that. If you don't there is a nice little freeware program called XV. It is available, last I looked, for Windows. It will resize at the drop of a hat. It will also do a number of other image-processing tricks. My camera takes jpg format in something it calls "e-mail" format. It is something rather large, about 500x700 pixels, so I reduce it 60% and so far I always squeak in under the Bodger's Board limit.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:22 pm

I use another forum (dive related). After I commented on how tedious it was having to resize images manually for upload, they enabled a feature to take care of this automagically. Apparently the feature had long been available in the forum's software but had never been enabled (they were lucky to have a forum member who is also very experienced with the forum software, more familiar than the owner/administrator). (This forum does not appear to run the same software though).

BTW I am using 300 rather than 350 for the vertical height of images these days, sometimes just 200 for wide images.
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner