Gavin and Ruth help Anna Put Lead in her Pencil

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Gavin and Ruth help Anna Put Lead in her Pencil

Postby gavin » Thu Jun 28, 2012 2:46 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qNI30fwdWA4
At Royal Highland Show 2012, this was shot and then put up on Youtube by our 160th (?) customer. Or maybe 236th... it all got a bit of a daze after a while.

The flat dowel plate works well but needs some better fixing than the 'F' clamp you see fall off. The horizontal drill presses do work well - these are just flat metal bar, with holes to suit the drill and bent in 3 sides of a rectangle.

We had a lot of trouble getting the 4 mm drill bits to firmly engage in the chucks of the drills - I may even have to buy new hand drills in future! :shock: Some inventive & clver :idea: Shed Therapist had electrician's tape, so they did get the bits to stick in the chuck by winding the tape on the drill bit and then inserting tape and bit into chuck.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Gavin and Ruth help Anna Put Lead in her Pencil

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:35 pm

:D Excellent. Looked like everyone was having a heck of a lot of fun. Was there a beer tent by any chance?
It's been a long time since I last visited Scotland but Gavin, you don't sound Scottish.
ToneWood
Regular

Re: Gavin and Ruth help Anna Put Lead in her Pencil

Postby gavin » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

ToneWood wrote::D Excellent. Looked like everyone was having a heck of a lot of fun. Was there a beer tent by any chance?

No beer tent no. Just pure un-adulterated fun. We even have a fun-o-meter on site. Yes, seriously. You've heard of fahrenheit? Well, we measure fun in fun-en-height. If punters are having fun, we ask them to move the funometer up the required number of peg-holes. Funometer is a pole riven down the middle, pointed at the end and driven in the ground. It has holes drilled say 5 cm apart.A peg is pushed in the first hole and a sign saying ' fun o meter ' is suspended from the peg. When too much fun is had and the last hole is reached, you are off the scale. With this dangerous situation of too much fun concentrated in just one place, we gather up all the fun ( using rakes if we are selling them) and then either put the fun in the whistle pump and blast it out of a twig whistle, or we set off a flight of helicopters. This disperses the fun into the wider world - a broadcast of fun.

I like this metaphor of distributing pleasure by our actions.

I don't know if we actually sold any more whistles or copters because of this game, but I sure had fun doing it. One teenage girl asserted she was not having fun, so she asked her friend to move the funometer down several notches. This was done. I asked the negative-fun girl if she had had fun by getting her friend to move the funometer backwards. She had to pause a long time to answer that one. No said she. :lol:

ToneWood wrote:It's been a long time since I last visited Scotland but Gavin, you don't sound Scottish.
No, I am not Scottish. But I married one. Once.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner