Elwell side axe

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Elwell side axe

Postby Craig.B » Sun Apr 07, 2013 8:30 pm

Hi eveyone,

Just thought I would draw your attention to an Elwell side axe I am selling. I have listed it on ebay tonight and would prefer it to go to someone who is going to use it rather than keep it in a collection.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/261197091661?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649

212.gif
212.gif (90.47 KiB) Viewed 12481 times

Cheers
Craig
Craig.B

Re: Elwell side axe

Postby gavin » Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:41 pm

Craig.B,
Being as this is a largely non-commercial board, I'll be interested to know your reasons justifying £10 for delivery ??
Or is that a typo on EBay?
A cynic might think that £10 fee was an attempt to pad the price. :shock:

A worse cynic :evil: would consider your sole posting here is to sell and then they'd decide if they would like to support your trading.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Craig.B » Mon Apr 08, 2013 6:31 pm

Dear Gavin,

Thanks for your useful and helpful comments about my post. It must be difficult for you being so obnoxious and cynical.

Here goes:
Cost of the postage itself = Around £7.00
12 miles round trip to post office in my truck = About 1/2 gallon of diesel = £3.00
One hours worth of my time = £20
Actual packaging = £1.00

All I am simply trying to do is to draw fellow, like minded people to the fact that I am moving on a quality tool and giving them the oppurtunity to purchase it. I am not a dealer, collector or rip off merchant.

Thanks again for your interest.
Craig.B

Postby gavin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 10:00 pm

Craig.B wrote:Dear Gavin,

Thanks for your useful and helpful comments about my post. It must be difficult for you being so obnoxious and cynical.

Here goes:
Cost of the postage itself = Around £7.00
12 miles round trip to post office in my truck = About 1/2 gallon of diesel = £3.00
One hours worth of my time = £20
Actual packaging = £1.00

All I am simply trying to do is to draw fellow, like minded people to the fact that I am moving on a quality tool and giving them the oppurtunity to purchase it. I am not a dealer, collector or rip off merchant.

Thanks again for your interest.

Craig.B,
Thanks for this reasoning & clarification of your pricing structure, which now makes better sense to me.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby mrcharly » Tue Apr 09, 2013 10:02 am

Craig.B wrote:Dear Gavin,

I think you owe Gavin an apology.

I'm new to this board and Gavin has offered to send me wood at cost, purely out of generosity of spirit. That's in addition to the good advice, freely given. Hardly the act of an 'obnoxious and cynical' person.
mrcharly
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Tue Apr 09, 2013 7:46 pm

Watch out, the post office has put its prices up. what is even worst for me is that they have dropped compensation down from £49 to £20 so if they loose my parcel I will now make a greater loss. Now if I wanted a guaranteed compensation I would have to stick another £5+ onto postage. It can be often cheaper to buy collection and delivery courier services off ebay these days
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:47 pm

The Post Office have mucked about with their website yet again. "Standard Parcel Prices" used to be hard to find, then it became hidden but now has gone completely :(. It seems to have been merged into Second Class postage (a sensible and obvious simplification once you discover it, it should have always been there) . The inclusion of different rates for parcels of the same weight "medium" v. "large" seems like an unnecessary complication :(.

http://www.royalmail.com/parcel-despatc ... class-mail

Sean is correct about the massive 50% drop in compensation cover :(
No use complaining, they'll just shut all the village Post Offices & sell the remainder to an overseas buyer (TNT/DHL?) who'll raise prices & cut services further :(.
Then there is their multi-billion pound pension shortfall...
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Craig.B » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:02 pm

Wow your so right guys. Actual price of sending the side axe, 2nd class, was £13.35.

Actual weight packaged came to 2.3kilos.

Good job I'm not in it for the money.

Its about time there was an alternative to Royal Mail, perhaps if I had the time, I could have shopped around and got a better deal.
Craig.B

Postby ToneWood » Tue Apr 16, 2013 8:08 pm

No doubt the Post Office bosses will be boasting what fantastic profits they've made (quietly ignoring their billions of pounds of pension debt) this year by gouging their customers & making customers collect parcels, when they collect their massive bonus cheques. Their motto should be: "charging you more while delivering less" :(

Some of the ebay courier services offer good values, especially for large/heavy items or when shipping abroad - and they usually collect from your house, a handy feature. I've had good luck with them (one parcel ended up being collected & delivered by DHL) but shop carefully ;).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby TonyH » Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:04 pm

ToneWood wrote:Some of the ebay courier services offer good values, especially for large/heavy items.

Cheap. Not necessarily good value. For example the one that recently delivered my 200 year old wooden plane, bursting open the packaging and losing the wedge in the process.
TonyH
Regular

Postby mrcharly » Thu Apr 18, 2013 11:20 am

That was sodding expensive! Makes the £9 postage I've just paid for an axehead (from bulgaria) look cheap.

You could try interlink http://www.interparcel.com/

I've used them for odd-sized parcels (a longbow). Quite often cheaper than PO and quicker. If you are lucky, they'll pick up from your location as well.
mrcharly
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Apr 18, 2013 1:03 pm

TonyH wrote:
ToneWood wrote:Some of the ebay courier services offer good values, especially for large/heavy items.

Cheap. Not necessarily good value. For example the one that recently delivered my 200 year old wooden plane, bursting open the packaging and losing the wedge in the process.

As I wrote above, "shop carefully". Burst/damaged packaging might be the courier's fault or might be the sender's. The Post Office service is no better in my experience though: I received a couple of printer cartridges last month through the regular mail & the polybag package looked alarmingly beat-up, fortunately the HP cardboard packaging within took all of the damage but I was not impressed - the packaging was so badly damaged I wouldn't, for example, have been able to resell them in that condition. In that case I blame the Post Office, for heavy handling, and the sender for inadequate packaging. Having to pick up packages from a Post Office 7 miles away (or pay an extra £1.50 to have it delivered to a nearer Post Office) also seems like extremely poor service - you pay a premium and then do most of the work yourself!

The couriers I have dealt with have all been excellent, so far, to my surprise & delight. The lower cost & greater service/convenience is often compelling for me. Best to avoid those with overly complex procedures/rules - as you need to read and understand what you are getting (same goes for Post Office services).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Billman » Sat Jul 12, 2014 3:29 pm

I use the Parcel2Go site - lots of choice of couriers, with varying rates and levels of compensation - you can even arrange collection from most UK Mainland sites if the seller does not want the bother of sending...

Curiously, to send 6 big parcels to France, Parcel Force was the cheapest of all - around 15 pounds each for 10 kg but bulky in size, at 60cm x 50cm x 50cm, and they collected from the house....
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Return to Traders Corner