Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenware"

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Tools in Jogge Sundqvist's DVD, "Carving Swedish Woodenw

Postby ToneWood » Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:40 am

Another axe-making video (viking-style axe head): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQaaS71yfvM
Last edited by ToneWood on Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:26 pm

ToneWood wrote:...
Could it be the Gotland axe? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Axe_o ... Sweden.jpg
ImageImage
For replica (right) see: http://www.ramanon.com/forum/showthread ... tlands-axe

Just came across this on ebay, being sold out of the Ukraine C. 0AD, look familiar?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Stunningly-be ... 5651b37aee

More axes like this at Precursors to the Swedish Carving Axe?-thread (apparently it was once a popular shape and came in many different sizes).
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:59 pm

ToneWood wrote:
ToneWood wrote:You're going to like this:

Another Viking axe option - this one from Gransfor: Gransfors Bruks Swedish Viking Axe GB499-5
There is one on ebay currently (from The Weald & Downland Open Air Museum): http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gransfors-Bru ... 2300719076

Just noticed the description for this axe says it weights about 500g (inc. handle??) - that's 100g less than the head of my £5 Lidl-China carving axe, which is on the light side. 600g seems pretty light to me. I was expecting it(s head) to weigh more like 600-850g - i.e. noticeably lighter than the Swedish carving axe.

I see this Gransfors Bruks viking axe is now available on another website:
http://www.woodsmithstore.co.uk/shop/Pr ... iking+Axe/
Different edge guard. Quite small.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby mrcharly » Thu Apr 04, 2013 6:03 pm

I think that calling these 'viking' axes is very misleading. Bearded axes of various shapes and patterns have been in use right across europe.
mrcharly
Regular

Postby tagnut69 » Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:08 pm

They may have been used all over europe but Viking axe sounds better than bearded axe :D
tagnut69
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:09 pm

If you search ebay for "bearded axe" you'll usually find a few but they are generally somewhat different the skeggox/Gotland-style axes above - often thick, triangle plan, long bladed, coopers' axes. I know what you mean though, "Viking axe" sounds almost impertinent but I think it is fairly accurate - at least I think it gives fair idea of what we are referring to (although I suppose those double headed axes would come to mind for some). Perhaps we should call them something else "Norse axe", "Nordic hand axe" or Swedish heritage axe...? Any of the forum's Scandinavian members have any suggestions? The German translation of Wille Sundqvist's book refers to it as "Wikingeraxt" - presumably "Viking axe" in English.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Apr 19, 2013 6:32 pm

ToneWood wrote:
jrccaim wrote:... I find that for spoons and such, 20 cm is about right...
jrrcaim, your post stuck in my mind and I have been keeping my eye out for a smaller bow saw since. It was not an urgent requirement - my 12" bow saw provides good service .. I won 2, they came as a package deal...
My new small bow saws have a 10" blade (so about 25cm) - that seems to be the standard small size in the UK. Although that doesn't sound much smaller than 12", the actual size of the frame and overall weight is considerably less than the 12" saw. ...

I wasn't planning to get any more saws but his really neat little one on ebay: smaller than most/all that I have seen there before @7"/, the "London" style handles added novelty interest. I made a low bid & didn't expect to win but nobody else bid, so to my surprise I got it (the shipping cost & copious amounts of blue paint roughly painted on one side - not shown below - probably deterred others).
Bow saws 4.jpg
Dinky new saw at the bottom - love it. Will probably sell one of the 10" saws (in the middle) now.
Bow saws 4.jpg (93.65 KiB) Viewed 12541 times

The new saw is even smaller than I expected - I absolutely love it. The wood is very dry though, so will oil it. Might have a go at removing some of that blue paint first (most is on the reverse side, so not visible above), although don't really know how to go about it & don't want to damage the saw.

BTW I call it a 7"/18cm saw but the blade is about 7.5" pin-to-pin and the serrated part of the blade is only about 5.5". It's a different, finer sort of blade than the others, a fret saw blade perhaps?
ToneWood
Regular

Postby tagnut69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:37 am

What were the chisels he used in the video? they look like pfeil ones to me but which sweep?

Cheers

Chris
tagnut69
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:48 pm

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Certainly the smaller gouge he uses for the spoon says "Swiss made". When he starts the bowl, he has 5 gouges laid out: the 2 smallest ones have lighter colored handles and writing on them ("Swiss made" probably) but I don't see that on the 3 larger gouges, which have darker, more conical handles (and look real nice). I don't see any writing on the large bowl gouge (which looks to be about 1.5"-2" wide to me) he uses first.

The second bowl gouge he uses appears very shallow (perhaps equivalent to HK radius 90 or 150mm), it has writing on the handle, which I can't read but probably says Swiss made; @20:00min, when he picks it up, he says that he is changing "to the #5" to finish it up before going to the axe work outside. #5 sweep presumably.

Originally I had assumed that he just borrowed those gouges from the Country Workshops' tool cupboard (I saw C W 1 stamped on a tool somewhere, perhaps a Mora/Frost 106 sloyd knife in the spoon sections?). However, in his book pp32-33, there is a picture of a tool-roll with gouges in it, at least two are stamped with Jogge's signature/alter ego "Surolle", so I presume it is his. It contains: 2 narrow gouges marked "Swiss made" (5/8 & 12/6?), what appear to be 2 Japanese mortice chisels (the text says "japanische Stemmeisen") & an HK V-gouge (nice, would like one of those myself). No sign of the big bowl gouges unfortunately.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby tagnut69 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:12 pm

What book is that?, I have the video but cant seem to find a book from him
tagnut69
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:46 pm

Available in Swedish, German and Norwegian(?) currently -- not sure why they don't try the English speaking market (USA, Britain, Canada, Australia, South Africa, etc.), with both Jogge & Wille Sundqvist's books (the latter was available in English but now out of print in English), very frustrating. BTW Jogge's book doesn't feature bowls. Wille's does.

Only the German version is available new from Amazon.co.uk:
"Carving with Jogge Sundqvist"
ImageImage
http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/3878 ... rious02-21

More on this book and others: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2271&start=30

I'd like to get a copy of this one too:
("carving for kitchen & garden")
ToneWood
Regular

Previous

Return to Beginner's corner