Bowl Lathe Height

All things bowl turning, hooks, lathes etc..

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Bowl Lathe Height

Postby Tlil » Mon Jan 05, 2015 6:30 pm

I have just realised whilst watching Robin Wood and Ben Orford on You Tube that the bed height for a Bowl lathe is considerably higher than that for spindle turning. Before I start to reconstruct my lathe I thought I would ask how crucial this height difference is or do I just need to perfect my technique.
Tlil
Regular

Re: Bowl Lathe Height

Postby Ian G » Mon Jan 05, 2015 9:36 pm

Hi, I use the same lathe for spindle turning and bowl turning and just change one poppet. I know most bodgers seem to have a separate lathe for bowls. The ht to the top of the bed is 3ft 8in with a further 8in to the centre of the points in the poppets. I'm 6ft 2in tall and I find this ht very comfortable. I can adjust it down for other people to use if needed. I tend to make my lathes on the heavy side my main one being all 5in x 2in pine with sold elm poppits. I can change from bowls to chair part turning in the blink of an eye. So far, and this lathe is about 10yr old, I have yet to get any excess vibration when turning bowls. Hope this helps, but make it to suit you, your the one who is going to use it. You could always G clamp it at different hts to see what suits.

Ian
Ian G
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Jan 06, 2015 3:17 am

Ian, Welcome and thanks! For your input. Pictures would make your explanation clearer, to me. Your points intrigue me. Thanks again.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby Ian G » Tue Jan 06, 2015 9:27 pm

Hi Steve, thanks I've been meaning join the forum for ages.....there is so much information....brilliant stuff. Anyway here are a couple of pics of my lathe setup for bowl and spindle turning.

Ian
Attachments
bowl turning.JPG
Bowl setup
bowl turning.JPG (85.46 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
spindle turning.JPG
Spindle setup
spindle turning.JPG (77.32 KiB) Viewed 4936 times
Ian G
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 12:30 am

Thanks for the pictures. Ingenious resolution of the problem. I'm going to see if I can adapt it to the lathe I use for demonstrating to school groups. They often ask about turning bowls but I haven't been able to switch to that "bowl" mode quickly enough. When I get it worked out will post some pictures.
Steve Martin
Regular

Return to Bowl turning