How to kill a tree.

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

How to kill a tree.

Postby anobium » Sun Apr 26, 2015 6:03 pm

I realise this is not something one would wish to do very often, but I had to get rid of two largish hazel trees on my boundary, so this is my method: I drilled a hole about 8mm diameter and about 5cm deep into the trunk just above ground level, sloping the hole downwards. Into the hole using a syringe I injected about 5cl of glyphosate. Now three months later the hazel is clearly dead as it has no leaves while its neighbours are growing new leaves.
anobium
Regular

Re: How to kill a tree.

Postby woodness sake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 12:48 am

A tree can be killed by girdling, the removal of about 3" of bark all the way around the base of a tree. A little labor intensive, but easier on the environmental conscience, although as herbicides go, glyphosate is fairly benign.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby redsquirrel » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:39 pm

This is a subject which could cause polarised discussion, but if you think glyphosate is benign, here is an alternative view.

Additionally many links to the glyphosate problem are here

Meanwhile potassium nitrate will rot tree trunks and is a non-organic chemical (in the chemistry sense not the misused eco term) and is used in commercial stump rotting recipes.
Last edited by redsquirrel on Mon Apr 27, 2015 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
redsquirrel
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Mon Apr 27, 2015 4:48 pm

woodness sake wrote:glyphosate is fairly benign.

This is crazy.
And I totally agree with redsquirrel on this.
I too have been following the fairly recent research into Glyphosate, and the news ain't good.

It's being linked to gluten issues, autism, IBS, alzheimers, dementia and all sorts of other nutrition/digestive-related issues.
It is a herbiCIDE after all, CIDE meaning "to kill".

This is why we should be eating organic food, not because it's "better" but because non-organic is potentially toxic.
Glyphosate is the most commonly used herbicide in the world, and wheat is the most "sprayed" crop in the world.
Remember that Monsanto have a pretty good track-record in making bio-weapons for the military, these people are not our friends.

If you want to kill a tree I would recommend the more "natural" methods, like just keep cutting it back until it dies, for example.
Or you could cover it with an opaque material so that it has no light.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby woodness sake » Mon Apr 27, 2015 5:08 pm

Well, I gladly stand corrected. Thank you redsquirrel and monkeyboy. Well done. A good case for reading beyond the advertising rhetoric if there ever was one. Science seems to develop solutions that fix minor problems only to create greater problems that might not have a solution.
woodness sake
Regular

Postby Simon Hartley » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:09 pm

woodness sake wrote: Science seems to develop solutions that fix minor problems only to create greater problems that might not have a solution.

That depends on how the science is used. Any branch of science can be used for benign or malign purposes.

What creates the problems is the fact that the most heavily researched applications are merely the most profitable, not the most beneficial overall.
Simon Hartley
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Mon Jul 06, 2015 5:33 pm

It was the Luddites who opposed the inappropriate use of technology, not technology itself.

They did "lose" in the end though.
So we should be careful about the lessons we learn from history.

I ham for Ned Ludd.
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby Bob_Fleet » Tue Jul 07, 2015 10:23 am

monkeeboy wrote:This is crazy.
It's being linked to gluten issues, autism, IBS, alzheimers, dementia and all sorts of other nutrition/digestive-related issues.
The lesson is probably not to eat the tree once you've killed it then.
Horses for courses surely. It might end up as one of the only "legitimate" uses for Roundup.

Potassium nitrate is used in gunpowder and probably responsible for millions of deaths but it's a pretty good stump rotter.

Must take a deep breath now.
http://www.onegoodturn.co.uk

Society is like a stew. If you don't keep it stirred up, you get a lot of scum on top.--Edward Abbey

Come and see us all at http://www.wooplaw.org.uk
Bob_Fleet
Regular

Postby redsquirrel » Tue Jul 28, 2015 2:09 am

I guess you haven't read much on the effects of roundup, from your reply. There is no "legitimate" use in the plant world for poisons in general. The environment worked well enough before them. Roundup does not only starve plants of nutrients, it locks up micro-nutrients so they are unavailable to plants grown after treatment. Roundup is an antibiotic and kills soil bacteria and gut bacteria. There are fields in the UK now where almost nothing will grow, yet adjacent fields managed using organic methods produce good crops. Additionally the amount of insect life and their predators has increased over the last 5 years in those fields. It is not necessary to kill everything but the intended crop, which is the method used by modern agriculture.
redsquirrel
Regular

Postby TonyH » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:08 pm

Please don't believe all you read.

Glyphosate is very widely used, and has been for some time. It can be, and is, used on senescent cereal crops pre-harvest to clear weed to make harvesting easier (and less officially to speed the senescence to save drying costs). Application of overall glyphosate is the invariable last act before entering organic conversion to get weeds under control. If it were so deadly, we would know by now.

On the other hand - our society is as dependent on agrochemicals as we are fossil fuels. We would have to shed about 1/3 of the population to manage without the Haber process.
TonyH
Regular

Postby monkeeboy » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:19 pm

TonyH wrote: If it were so deadly, we would know by now.

It's not necessarily deadly, but it is toxic.
The World Health Organisation has recently stated that glyphosate is "probably carcinogenic".
There's nothing safe about any 'cide.
Most digestive related issues are chronic and can take decades to be traced to specific causes.

Also, talking of not believing everything thing we read;
Fossil fuels aren't actually fossil fuels!
They are probably primordial constituents of the planet, as they are with many planetary bodies, but nobody actually knows for sure.
We've just been taught the fossil fuel theory for so long that it's stuck.
I wonder if that also applies to other ideas, like not being able to grow enough food etc?
monkeeboy
Regular

Postby TonyH » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:21 pm

I've been biting my tongue, telling myself that this is a waste of words, don't bother. Should have listened to myself.

Enough. Time for some woodwork.
TonyH
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Aug 03, 2015 7:23 am

TonyH wrote:I've been biting my tongue, telling myself that this is a waste of words, don't bother. Should have listened to myself.

Enough. Time for some woodwork.

Wise thoughts Tony. I think fuelling debate about off-topic issues is counter-productive and damages this board.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Wed Aug 26, 2015 4:49 am

Sorry I have been away for so long. I have moved, and some of the time since then has been spent in a hospital. Obviously not fatal :). What I do not understand is why you had to kill the tree in the first place. Perhaps the tree was menacing a structure e.g. your house. Perhaps you plain didn't like it. Blameless. But once you have killed it, it is still there, only dead. And just as dangerous and/or unsightly. It must be cut down. Now felling trees is something I have done. But never near a power cable, house, shed, whatever structure. The thing must fall just so. In the state of Alaska, the power company will deal with the first case. In all other cases, unless you are a professional arborist, I suggest you grit your teeth, and hire one. They are very expensive and their insurance premiums are one reason this is so, as well as the skill involved. The discussion on pesticides is valid, but irrelevant. Don't kill it. Just have it cut it down.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby anobium » Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:37 pm

The trees were hazel on the limit of my property causing damage to a wall. The glyphosate has done its job and I have removed the trees. I suppose they could have been removed while still alive but I wanted to kill the roots also.
anobium
Regular

Return to Tools