'Backing' the Crest

For chair makers world wide to discuss techniques and design of chairs from around the world

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

'Backing' the Crest

Postby Stanford Peverill » Sun Jul 31, 2016 8:10 pm

I am about to steam bend a quantity of ash CRESTS for chairs. The crests specifications are approximately 24" x "1-1/4" x 2-3/4". Can someone tell me please is it desirable to use a backing strip which is the same depth of the crest (2-3/4") to bend. Or can I risk the bend (on a former) without a backing strip. Assuming that the radius of the crest, which is not that acute, will take the bend without any support of a backing strip. I have considered setting up a jig using my vice to give the compression force to bend the material. Can anyone help please. Cheers!!!
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: 'Backing' the Crest

Postby Davie Crockett » Mon Aug 01, 2016 10:34 pm

I've just finished a chair making course with Gudrun Leitz where we steamed and then bent the comb at the back of the chair. (It was similar dimensions but triangular (narrow cleft) section). We used a former cut from a solid block and squeezed the comb in a large carpenters vice. No backing webbing or steel strap, there were no fibres breaking out and the deviation from straight was about 1" In the centre.
Attachments
Former.JPG
Steam bending former
Former.JPG (16.59 KiB) Viewed 2781 times
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Re: 'Backing' the Crest

Postby Stanford Peverill » Tue Aug 02, 2016 6:57 pm

Thanks for getting back to me Davie yes I have thought about giving it a squeeze in the vice. My vice is a modest piece of kit and may net take the strain. I got some stainless 0.9mm strip from m local sheet metal workshop today so I will give both processes a try. Hope you enjoyed the course and got a lot from it, steam bending is a very dark art. I have had some success but am still on a steep learning curve. Thanks again.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Return to Chairmaker's Exchange