Green ash - Please help!

If you know or have a source of materials or are looking for them post here.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Green ash - Please help!

Postby Funky Shrek » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi, Im urgently trying to source some green ash in lengths of a minimum of 8' and approx 2"x 4".

Ideally I need them cut into laths 40-50mm wide 5mm thick and 2.4m long for making coracles.

I have spent the last few weekends trying to make riven laths but its taking way too long as I need to start building the coracles for a client.

This is going to be an ongoing project.

If you can help it would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards :D


P.S. Im near Dover in Kent.
Funky Shrek
new member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby gavin » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:06 am

Type " coracle " in the search box ( top right0

The most relevant thread would seem to be viewtopic.php?f=5&t=764&p=4097&hilit=coracle#p4097

If you can be bothered to get skilled at using froe and cleaving brake and have suitably straight-grained ash, you can split your own. But since your needs seem to be for volume production, the saw-milled option is probably best.
Gavin Phillips


- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
User avatar
gavin
Regular
 
Posts: 1595
Joined: Mon May 16, 2005 4:17 pm
Location: Dalbeattie, near Dumfries, Scotland

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby monkeeboy » Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:34 pm

Does it need to be Ash?

Coracles are a lot easier to make with bent Hazel.
monkeeboy
Regular
 
Posts: 229
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:03 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby robin wood » Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:39 pm

Did you ever talk to woodmizer?
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
User avatar
robin wood
Regular
 
Posts: 1670
Joined: Thu Mar 30, 2006 10:21 am
Location: derbyshire

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Funky Shrek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:45 pm

robin wood wrote:Did you ever talk to woodmizer?

I did phone twice, but never got a call back.
Funky Shrek
new member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Funky Shrek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:53 pm

Thanks, the thread you suggested was already placed by me.
With the utmost respect, it isn't a matter of being "bothered"to get skilled using a froe and cleaving brake.
Merely that I need to get these two coracles built ASAP, as the chap Im making them for has been let down twice by other people and I've given him my word that I won't do the same.

Regards,
Stuart.

gavin wrote:Type " coracle " in the search box ( top right0

The most relevant thread would seem to be viewtopic.php?f=5&t=764&p=4097&hilit=coracle#p4097

If you can be bothered to get skilled at using froe and cleaving brake and have suitably straight-grained ash, you can split your own. But since your needs seem to be for volume production, the saw-milled option is probably best.
Funky Shrek
new member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Funky Shrek » Sun Feb 08, 2009 7:56 pm

Thanks for the advice, unfortunately these are being made to design that needs laths cut from ash.
Cheers anyway

monkeeboy wrote:Does it need to be Ash?

Coracles are a lot easier to make with bent Hazel.
Funky Shrek
new member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Robin Fawcett » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:12 pm

Whereabouts are you FunkyShrek ? I know a guy in Shropshire who may be able to provide you with what you need.
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
User avatar
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin
 
Posts: 973
Joined: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:47 pm
Location: Essex/Herts/London

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Nicola Wood » Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:23 am

Funky Shrek wrote:P.S. Im near Dover in Kent.

He's a long way from Shropshire Robin!
User avatar
Nicola Wood
Regular
 
Posts: 574
Joined: Tue May 13, 2008 10:05 pm
Location: Peak District

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Mark Allery » Mon Feb 09, 2009 10:55 am

Hello Stuart,

sorry to hear its taking you a while to get up to speed. I know the problem

Have you tried any of the local coppice group members?

I'd recommend contacting Alan Sage, he's an extremely talented coppice worker and lists laths on his product page. A great guy, if he can't do them himself (he tends to be quite busy at short notice) he may be able to point you in the right direction, heres a link for his product page

http://www.coppice-products.co.uk/Directory/Record190.htm

I have a friend who does laths for English nature (but we're right over on the hampshire side of sussex) and there is also philip hardy up near horsham who also makes round houses and coracles etc, you could find him through the coppice group, he might be able to point you in the right direction, heres his contact details

http://www.coppicegroup.org.uk/hardy.htm

good luck

Mark
Polelathe Turner, Woodsman & Green Woodworker. Demonstrations and Coppice Products
http://woodlandantics.wordpress.com
woodland.antics@virgin.net
User avatar
Mark Allery
Regular
 
Posts: 314
Joined: Mon Oct 23, 2006 5:50 pm
Location: Lynchmere, Western Weald

Re: Green ash - Please help!

Postby Funky Shrek » Tue Feb 10, 2009 11:10 am

Many Many thanks spoke to Alan Sage from AJS today as you recommended, so looks like we are sorted!
Cheers.
Mark Allery wrote:Hello Stuart,

sorry to hear its taking you a while to get up to speed. I know the problem

Have you tried any of the local coppice group members?

I'd recommend contacting Alan Sage, he's an extremely talented coppice worker and lists laths on his product page. A great guy, if he can't do them himself (he tends to be quite busy at short notice) he may be able to point you in the right direction, heres a link for his product page

http://www.coppice-products.co.uk/Directory/Record190.htm

I have a friend who does laths for English nature (but we're right over on the hampshire side of sussex) and there is also philip hardy up near horsham who also makes round houses and coracles etc, you could find him through the coppice group, he might be able to point you in the right direction, heres his contact details

http://www.coppicegroup.org.uk/hardy.htm

good luck

Mark
Funky Shrek
new member
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2009 8:56 pm


Return to Sourcing Materials

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests