Shave horse hinge?

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Shave horse hinge?

Postby Woodburner » Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:58 pm

I am in the process of sorting out bits and pieces for a shave horse, and have realised I have a choice of materials for the frame hinge. Either broom handle or threaded bolt.
Threaded bolt would be easier, as it only needs small diameter holes, but I suspect that broom handle would be much kinder to the wood of the holes. How bad would it be if I used the threaded bar?
Thanks for reading. :)
Woodburner

Re: Shave horse hinge?

Postby 81stBRAT » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:34 pm

Just use a length of plain steel rod or a long bolt , my horse has a 3/8" bolt no need for a nut as it stays in 1/2" may be better.
Richard
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:18 pm

I use a piece of leather nailed on. I had an offcut which suited the purpose.
I've seen door hinges use.
Darren
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:11 pm

Sorry, but where exactly is the hinge on a shavehorse?
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby gavin » Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:09 pm

Robin Fawcett wrote:Sorry, but where exactly is the hinge on a shavehorse?

In the plank style of shave horse there is a tongue of wood that supports the work from underneath. Where that plank meets the body is a hinge.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Woodburner » Thu Oct 18, 2012 10:23 am

Pivot would have been a better word. I think the last set of instructions I was reading must have referred to it as 'hinge'. :S
I'm talking English shave horse here, where you push on the bottom of a frame with your feet so that the wood you are working on is held in place by the top bar of the frame. The 'hinge' I am meaning, is the rod that goes through roughly the middle of the frame and through the bench and so joins the frame to the bench and act as pivot for the frame to clamp the wood you are working on.
On the first page of the shave horse thread, jrccaim's rod seems to be metal, whereas Robin's further down the page is clearly wood.
Plain metal rod would be my easiest option, but I don't have any and can't find anywhere that sells any. I can't find suitable eyebolts anywhere either, Wickes are supposed to carry a range of dowel sizes but don't, but . . .
I have just remembered that somewhere in a shed I have an old 'baby gate' that had moderate sized dowel for the bars, that will do just nicely for this!
Thank you all for your input. :)
Woodburner

Postby Robin Fawcett » Thu Oct 18, 2012 11:05 am

Ah I see... Couldn't you find a straight slim rod of, say, hazel?
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby woodness sake » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:52 pm

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=813#p4671 see the leather hinge in the 3rd and 4th pictures
woodness sake
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Fri Oct 19, 2012 4:07 am

Hi Woodburner, a blacksmith friend of mine made me a 1/2" diameter rod made of mild steel with a nice decorative head for $30. I'm sure you can find a blacksmith near you who can make one for a similar cost. The effort to make one is rather minimal. At least that is what my friend said.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby Woodburner » Fri Oct 19, 2012 7:52 am

bulldawg_65 wrote:Hi Woodburner, a blacksmith friend of mine made me a 1/2" diameter rod made of mild steel with a nice decorative head for $30. I'm sure you can find a blacksmith near you who can make one for a similar cost. The effort to make one is rather minimal. At least that is what my friend said.

D'oh! I do know a blacksmith, and while he's nowhere near my usual shopping routes, he does indeed have plenty of steel rod! Ah well! Sorted now.
Woodburner

Postby jrccaim » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:53 am

Erm, Woodburner, I use a 1/4" - 6mm piece of straightish steel rod scrounged from I don't remember where. In a pinch go to the hardware store and buy it. Cost you less than three bucks. After a while you develop an eye for scrap! I am constantly amazed by the stuff you find thrown away. I prefer steel rod because I don't have to round it nicely, but almost anything will do. Even big nails. Really big nails, "cabin spikes" we call them in Alaska, will do the trick. This is not high tech! Big nails a little too long but never mind. Can always cut them with a hacksaw. Pound into drilled holes. Our original bodgers used what they had. I consider steel pivots a real luxury. Real trick is drilling the guide holes so's your pivot is square with the rest of your horse. Hint: when drilling a long hole, tape a line level to your auger bit .That keeps you, er, level. Use a square to make sure you are drilling, well, square. Until I learned that, my guide holes were extremely erratic, and I thank Drew Langsner for (oh gosh another unintentional pun :) ) straightening me out. See Drew's Green Woodworking book. Out of print, unfortunately.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Darren » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:56 am

B&Q sell steel rods of all sizes
Darren
Regular

Postby rokbottom » Wed Mar 28, 2018 11:18 am

And I got my Steel rod from an old Computer Printer.

And my Motto is, Never pass a Skip with out checking it out. (A Skip is a Dumpster in the UK ).

Len.
rokbottom

Return to Tools