Collapsible Pole Lathe

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Collapsible Pole Lathe

Postby BoatieRichard » Thu Mar 15, 2018 5:03 pm

A couple of years back I did a spoon carving course and looked with awe at the instructors poll lathe. I had seen one a few years back in action at the Wychwood Forrest Fayre and longed to have a go.

I built one, bought some bowl hooks and then my wife decided she wanted us to move onto a narrowboat before I have chance to get acquainted with it. With no room aboard I sold all my stuff.

Now the call to the lathe is growing stronger again. I would love to start with bowls and then go onto other things.

Whilst out chopping wood this afternoon I was wondering if there was a collapsible pole lathe which I could put in a homemade wooden top box on the roof.

There is a bridge that we often pass which has about 14in headroom when we go under, so it would have to fold down quite small. The room I have on the roof is 4x5ft which is between the vents.

Has anyone go any suggestions of one that I could buy or make that would suit my needs?

I would also love someone to help me get used to it and teach me. Happy to trade for this with cash or a cruise on the boat ;)

Home mooring is just north of Kidlington in Oxfordshire.

Cheers all. R
BoatieRichard

Re: Collapsible Pole Lathe

Postby Steve Martin » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:12 am

The Museum in Old Salem, (Winston-Salem, its modern name) North Carolina, USA, has photos of a pole lathe which has vertical placement of the poles, so it may help to meet your space needs. This model is supposedly based on a German design, but I am not familiar with any photos or drawings of the German version. The settlers of Salem were Moravian, which may provide another European lead.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby anobium » Sat Mar 17, 2018 12:03 pm

A pole lathe is impractical on a boat, but a bungee would be the obvious solution, and you could lie it flat when under a bridge and cover it with a tarpaulin when not in use. For instruction, I suggest you visit the Bodgers' Ball.
anobium
Regular

Postby BoatieRichard » Sat Mar 17, 2018 1:58 pm

I am not wanting to use the lathe on the boat, but on the towpath wherever we moor. It would just be packed onto the boat whilst we move.
BoatieRichard

Postby rokbottom » Thu Mar 22, 2018 7:07 pm

Harry Rogers ( Not sure about the Surname ) has a video on YouTube making an adjustable one that comes apart for storage. I tried to post a photo of the one I made but its too big. I used aluminium Broom Handles for the Bungee Poles. :roll:

Len.
rokbottom

Postby Davie Crockett » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:11 am

Here's the Harry Rogers Video: https://youtu.be/Nc3GqpCIDqk
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning