Knife/Wood Selection

When you are starting out there are a lot of questions. Ask them here!

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Knife/Wood Selection

Postby TomN » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:16 pm

Hi All,

looking for a bit of advice. I will soon be wanting to do a bit of mini green wood working soon. I have joined a Viking re-enactment society and there are a number of things I would like to make for my 'kit'.
I would like to make a small wooden, rough Thor's hammer pendant. And if possible a few nalbinding needles, if possible.

I was wondering if I could ask the people here what is a good beginners knife for whittling and where to buy one.

Other than that, is there any kind of wood that would be more suitable than others for these kind of projects? And if so, do they need to dry out, or be treated in any way?

Cheers,
Tom
TomN

Re: Knife/Wood Selection

Postby Darrell » Fri Apr 27, 2018 12:41 pm

Tom

My wife makes nalbinding needles, and she uses cherry or maple. Open grained woods like oak will catch the fibres too much, so use something close-grained like a fruitwood or cherry, birch or maple.

A Mora knife will do well for whittling.

Darrell
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Postby TomN » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:32 pm

Thanks Darrell. Good to know!

I will look up Mora knives.
TomN

Postby Frudd » Thu May 17, 2018 11:08 am

You will get a much smoother finish on your needles if you go over them what the wood is dry. Get them 95% of the way to finished then let the wood dry. Carving fine shavings off all the surfaces will leave a smooth glossy finish. Cant go wrong with a mora - you could consider just buying the blade blank and handling it yourself - it would look more authentic from a re-enactment point of view.
Frudd
Regular

Return to Beginner's corner