USA Membership?

vaguely woodworking

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

USA Membership?

Postby newyorker » Mon Sep 03, 2018 4:30 pm

This is a an outreach request to anyone in the UK or the USA. I am an "almost new" Green Wood Worker who has been watching Bodger's Balls on You Tube for the last several years. I am also a big fan of Wales, and have visited many times. It was on one of my Welsh visits years ago that I became familiar with the trade/craft. I would like to join APTGW but obviously I am not in the UK. I live in the USA in Upstate NY near Canada. Are there any members here in North America, either US or Canada? New Brunswick, Ontario and Quebec are all easy drives as is any state in the Northeastern US. My hope is to make it to the annual event in the UK some time soon as I am recently retired and would love an excuse for a return visit, It has been 4 years since my last trip.
newyorker

Re: USA Membership?

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 4:20 am

Networker, I am a member of APT&GW. I live in Rockwell, North Carolina, about 30 miles NE of Charlotte, NC. I have made and use, one pole lathe, currently have two shave horses and a lot of greenwood tools. I do demos of traditional woodworking and some teaching. I can't find my journal which lists members but will continue looking and will let you know of anyone who is closer to you, geographically. Good luck with your efforts. There are also folks involved in greenwood working in the US but who don't belong to APT&GW. Will try to find some of those blogs for you. Steve Martin.
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby Steve Martin » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:41 am

newyorker, Steve Martin again. I found my Journal's Membership Handbook. It lists only the member's names, in agreement with the UK requirements for confidentiality. There are 12 members listed from the US and 1 in Canada. Even though I don't expect to be back in the UK, I enjoy the Journal and keeping up with the web site, have found the Q&A to be helpful and the search option. Let me know if you are ever in this part of NC. Would love to have you visit. Roy Underhill, star and motivating force of PBS's The Woodwright's Shop, for about 38 years, has a site on line as well as PBS on-line. You can also do a search on-line for "pole lathe", spoon carving, etc. and learn about other useful sites and links. FaceBook also has several sites that specialize in green woodworking, spoon carving and other traditional crafts. Send me a reply if you want more interaction. Have a great week!
Steve Martin
Regular

Postby Darrell » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:50 pm

Hi Newyorker

I'm in Oakville ON, and I have a couple of gatherings a year in my shop. People from as far away as Rochester show up, so you may be in driving range. I've been a member of the APTGW for at least ten years, but only made it to 3 meetings (it is a long trip).

PM me your email address and I will try to remember to include you on the invite to the next Galoot BBQ, likely date is Dec 8.

Darrell
more dry work than green these days, garden gate is almost done
Wood Hoarder, Blade Sharpener, and Occasional Tool User
Darrell
Regular

Postby newyorker » Tue Sep 04, 2018 9:28 pm

All:

Thanks so much for the responses. Steve as to NC, my sisters in law live in Conway SC so we do go down that way at least once a year. I will keep you in mind. Darrell, I will definitely keep your name in my book. I usually try to get to Toronto a couple of times per year. I have a better chance of making it to a Galoot BBQ than a Bodgers Ball LOL. You have all been great to respond.

As for me I have been an amateur silver smith and gold smith for 45 years. Eight or nine years ago I started making spoons and kuksas on a very limited scale with rudimentary tools. I have just retired. In preparation for retirement I converted my Amish Shed into a workshop. I ran power to it so it will be usable as a winter workshop. My plan is to do bowls, and kuksas with silver inlay. I also will be enrolling in a workshop this winter to start doing Native American Flutes, again with silver inlay. Eventually I intend to do some turning for chairs. I have a cast iron table top 1910 lathe with no motor. My vision is to convert it to treadle power. We live in an area that is replete with antique / flea market shops. I think I can find and adapt a sewing machine treadle to my lathe. We have an operational treadle sewing machine in our living room, I have been using that as a template for my adaptive conversion. I actually was eyeing it as a sacrificial goat but my wife told me she would have my head if I touched it. That is a project for this winter now that I have the time.

As for membership I am glad you contacted me and that I am not the only one here in the the US and Canada. I also did a brief search and found someone in Penna too. I will do a visa thing that will convert pounds to dollars and join now. Thanks again.
newyorker

Postby Mike the Blacksmith » Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:35 pm

Hello USA Members,

Sorry I just caught this posting.

There are a number of members in the Wisconsin area and plans are being made for a green woodworking gathering in June of 2019. It will be held at a park in La Farge WI . The same grounds are used for our Driftless Spoon Gathering.

I will post more details here as they develop.

Stay sharp,
Mike the Blacksmith
Mike the Blacksmith

Return to Any other business