pole lathe photos?

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

pole lathe photos?

Postby Frode » Thu Dec 16, 2010 4:51 pm

Hello,
My apologies if this has already been covered, though I haven't found it , yet. I've seen postings of peoples spoons, and bowls, and shave horses, but not the lathes themselves. I've seen references, and occasional links, but no grand collection. I'd like to construct one, and in addition to plans, I'm always inspired (and humbled) by the creativity of others.
Is there such a thread, or if not, would anyone care to humor a newbie with examples of their work? Old, new, first, best, things you'd not do again, I'd appreciate seeing them all!
Thanks,
Frode
Frode
Regular

Re: pole lathe photos?

Postby jrccaim » Fri Dec 17, 2010 4:27 am

Since you ask... OK, I'll bite. I made my pole lathe out of odds and ends, and all I can say is that it works.
DSCN0322h.JPG
DSCN0322h.JPG (42.88 KiB) Viewed 9014 times

I don't think it is the ultimate pole lathe but it fills a need. It is currently running bungee mode; I'll rig a pole next summer. Note that I am using ordinary carpenter's gouges as turning tools. The tool rest is adjustable and by fiddling with height and distance from the work, the gouges are perfectly usable and save me a lot of dollars -- I mean, have you priced turning tools recently? Shocking. But the tool rest is too flimsy. It will be remade, like software, v.1.1 coming next summer. There is more on this contraption on my blog, [url]chalupyacres.blogspot.com[/url], where you would search on "pole lathe" label. I can't resist (forgive me) posting a picture of lathe 0.5 in action:
DSCN0325h.JPG
DSCN0325h.JPG (35.9 KiB) Viewed 9014 times
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Frode » Fri Dec 17, 2010 7:18 pm

Very nice! I looked on your blog, and was enjoying it so that I almost forgot what I was there for! I agree, a pole lathe looks a perfect thing for youngsters. If I see right, your bungee is attached to the ceiling, or framing?
Frode
Frode
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Sun Dec 19, 2010 4:30 am

The bungee is attached to a screw eye in a beam (actually a long birch pole) that runs from one end of the shop to the other. It has a dog-leash clip (salvaged from someplace) on the upstairs end, so it is easily unhooked. And I totally agree, pole lathes are good for children. Not just boys, either. This one's in my blog but I'll repost it here anyway.
DSCN0388h.JPG
DSCN0388h.JPG (34.11 KiB) Viewed 8945 times

These two very charming young ladies had a wonderful time. Both of them are good but the one in darker blue (she's turning) is a "natural" as they used to say in sports. The thing about a pole lathe is that you cannot hurt yourself. If you advance the tool too much the lathe just stops. Almost impossible to hurt yourself. No safety glasses. No helmets. No dust collectors.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:54 am

I've just finished (Bar a few tweaks) my bow lathe!!

The Bow is a self (One piece) Yew Branch which I liberated from a patients bonfire heap! I rived [Sp] it and tillered it to about 25lbs pull weight. I decided not to go with the bobbin/bow as it complicated the construction unnecessarily in my view.

The whole Gibbet assembly is removable if a pole becomes available. At this height it fits inside my shed quite comfortably.

Looking forward to getting some practice in before the 'Ball!
Last edited by Davie Crockett on Wed Mar 20, 2013 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:00 am

They are both beautiful! I can't wait to see others on here. I recently saw one where the bow was underneath the lathe with a lever contraption above attached. It too was a wonder to behold!
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:02 am

There must be hundreds of pictures of pole lathes scattered throughout bodger's board. Most of them (surprise) under the "pole lathe" topic. Suggest you work through older posts. Also some interesting stuff under bowl turning.

That bow lathe is a beauty, Davie. Well done indeed. I was interested in the tillering. A 25 lb bow is hardly worth an arrow, but is obviously good enough for bow lathers.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:46 pm

The tillering was really interesting, The Yew limb I had was about 5ft long, 3 inches in diameter and was a horizontal branch with a slight upward curve. Had it been straight I would have gone for a short bow for field archery. I rived the limb horizontally down the heartwood and then draw knifed the bow to about an inch wide from the centre part of the lower half of the branch. The upper half had several "Pins" (Small radial branches/leaf bracts) in it and was useless for making anything else.

Having got to the middle third portion and being careful to stay with the grain, I removed heart wood until I had about 3/8 inch heart and 1/4 inch sap wood.

I then strapped the centre of bow to the top of a T bar about 2ft long, attached a draw string and started to pull it and shave slivers from the heartwood until an even curve and the desired draw weight is established. it's worth marking the centre of the draw string, then as you put weight onto the bow, it's easy to see which half of the bow needs tilling by referencing the centre of the string with the centre of the T bar. You can hang weights or use hook scales and pull to find the poundage of your bow.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning