tuning peg bow lathe

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

tuning peg bow lathe

Postby Frode » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:19 am

Hello all,
I recently stumbled across a reference to a violin makers tuning peg bow lathe, with a photograph of a smallish metal device, about 8 inches long, or so, that looked as if it might have bolted to a bench. Screw adjusted centers, complete with a small tool rest. Since then, I can't seem to find anything beyond a rare written reference to the idea of the thing, usually accompanied by the thought that, yeah right, but how do I do it with a power lathe?
Has anyone here any experience with, or knowledge of such a thing? I tried blanking a peg out with my current set up, but it seems clumsy, and something like the aforementioned sounds like it would really be the ticket.
Thanks in advance,
Frode
Frode
Regular

Re: tuning peg bow lathe

Postby Davie Crockett » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:33 am

Interesting...I just found this by googling tuning peg lathe

Full article at http://www.fullchisel.com/blog/?p=1681
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Frode » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:31 pm

Hello Davie!
That looks like it! I followed your link, and it also mentions clock makers lathes, and, wouldn't you know, several possibilities have popped up. I'd never have thought of looking under clock making! The more I learn, the less I know.
Thanks,
Frode
Frode
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:40 am

The device in the picture looks like a watch- or clock- makers turns. That model would be turned with a bow. When electric motors became available, may manufacturers made motorized watchmaker's lathes. Now nobody does. Fantastic gadgets, with many accessories. You could certainly turn a tuning peg on one.
Nowadays the closest thing is the Taig lathe, sold under the name Peatol in the UK; also the Sherline lathe. The Taig is cheaper (I happen to have one, and recommend it highly). Center height about 55mm, so do not expect to turn big bowls on it! Sherline is more expensive. A Taig is really a kit. You buy the basic lathe and whatever acessories you need. This includes the motor. Many people run Taigs on 1/10 Hp (75 watt) motors. Enormous amount of stuff on Taigs on the web.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Fri Nov 18, 2011 10:12 am

AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Postby Frode » Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:54 pm

@jrccaim, Those are pretty slick, all right! I could get into whole new levels of trouble with one of those...
@Davie, Nice! I'd bet you could run a bow string or strap right through the existing pulleys!

BTW, here's what I was able to get, so far, from my set up. Primitive, but fun.

Thanks for the leads!
Frode
Frode
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning