First lathe build underway

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

First lathe build underway

Postby nitram55 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:53 pm

Hi All
I have just started to build my first lathe, all the materials are recycled and no electrons were disturbed whilst building. It will be bolted to the floor for stability and bungee powered.
Any comments on the build would be appreciated.

Martin
nitram55

Re: First lathe build underway

Postby mstibs » Sun Nov 25, 2012 9:10 pm

nitram55 wrote:It will be bolted to the floor for stability and bungee powered.Martin

Martin, I'd try first without bolting to the floor. So you can test if it's stable enough. I often rearrange things in the workshop because I need room for a larger project or build a new device, etc. Making it unmovable would prevent flexibility. Your construction looks much more stable than my pole lathe 2000 modification. Thumbs up!
lathe.JPG
My lathe's much lighter but still stable enough.
lathe.JPG (45.86 KiB) Viewed 4901 times

From the future poppet I guess you want to build a hybrid for bowl and spindle work. For spindle turning I think you won't need it bolted, for bowls I'd test. How do you plan to setup the bungee ... on the ceiling or mounted to stakes left and right?
Best!
STIBS
Saxons. Were good wood-turners, they had to be because they were poor potters...from "A Short History of Woodturning with the Pole-lathe" by Brian G. Howarth; My bilingual (de/en) Blog: http://mstibs.wordpress.com
mstibs
Regular

Postby nitram55 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:47 pm

good idea to try it unbolted, the bungee will be along the very low ceiling via a pulley.
Martin
nitram55

Postby jrccaim » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:42 am

One thing you can do is to add some mass. On a pole lathe this is often hard to do because the extra mass interferes with the treadle. I oten use raw logs for the purpose. But as mstibs says, try it first. I think you will find that the mass of whatever it is you are turning will determine whether it walks or not. My "indoor lathe, the polecat, is clamped outboard in a workmate. Works fine. Tends to swivel rather than walk, a few good logs would help it -- or an I-beam leftover from some building project!. But I am doing tool handles on it. If I were doing a bowl, I suspect I'd need to add some mass.
jrccaim
Regular

Return to Polelathe turning