Why am I getting spiral grooves with gouge?

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Why am I getting spiral grooves with gouge?

Postby gavin » Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:34 am

robgorrell wrote:By the way, are any of you anywhere near Bognor Regis England? I will be there in May.

Ok.
You live in US.
You don't get to UK very often.
You are coming to UK in May - indeed to Bognor.
You'd like to meet in the flesh some real people whose inputs you read here - and further your knowledge of greenwood working.

I'll now tell you a lie :shock: ( but it is a good one, so keep reading):

Just for your benefit and pleasure Mr Gorrell and for no other reason, I have arranged that several hundred greenwood enthusiasts appear in a field near Cambridge. They'll be armed with shave horses, bowl and pole lathes, and tools of a kind to delight and entrance. And they'll think it perfectly natural, normal and sensible to discuss every nuance of what your read on this forum -bevel angles, techniques, projects... Also they - and remember this is ENTIRELY for your personal benefit - will be willing, indeed anxious to share their skills and knowledge. Some will even be interested in your input and what you can teach them!

Now, the thing is, what with the late notice and all, and the difficulty of co-ordinating the movements of several hundreds of people since you put up this post that you are coming to Bognor in UK from US: the only dates we could all agree on was Fri 10, Sat 11, Sun 12 May. Naturally, you'll want to spend all that time there, but you may be only able to make one day. If so Saturday is best, cos people are there all day and don't start to pack up in the afternoon - which they do on Sunday. Plus there is always a nice selection of ales to consume on Saturday, at very cheap prices. And a dinner at night on Saturday.

Now I'll stop lying: Bodgers Ball has run since 1990, and will happen with you or without you. I went to the first one and I have been to a few since. I have ALWAYS found them inspirational. It will take 3 hours and 1 minute to travel from Bognor to Cambridge by rail: you could come and go within the one day.
If you can possibly get to Cambridge, do so! And if you could alter your travel schedule to make sure you are in UK at the relevant times, do that!

Go on, just say you are coming. Seek me out if you do. :D
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robgorrell » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:01 pm

Hi Gavin. I see that like me you are a member of the International Sarcasm Society, who motto is "Like we care what you think." :D :D

Dang, we arrive 5 days after the event. Figures. It sounds like a great event. I have seen a couple youtube vids for it. Maybe someday I can land some sort of enormous arts grant and get myself sent over for the do.

Rob
robgorrell
Regular

Postby gavin » Fri Jan 18, 2013 10:24 am

robgorrell wrote:Hi Gavin. I see that like me you are a member of the International Sarcasm Society, who motto is "Like we care what you think." :D :D

Dang, we arrive 5 days after the event. Figures. It sounds like a great event. I have seen a couple youtube vids for it. Maybe someday I can land some sort of enormous arts grant and get myself sent over for the do.

Rob

Can you get your dates shifted? It would be seriously worth while.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robgorrell » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:39 am

Just wanted to report that the advise has been very helpful. I'm having better luck with the gouge than before. I haven't had much luck with the skew but have had good luck using a very wide flat carving gouge as if it were a skew or chisel.
robgorrell
Regular

Previous

Return to Polelathe turning