Turning Cups and Goblets

discussion of the niceties of turning on a bow, bungee or pole lathe.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Turning Cups and Goblets

Postby Brigstock Bodger57 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 9:32 pm

I have been turning goblets for nearly 20 years now and have to admit that they are about all I do on the pole lathe now. My first ideas came from Domestic Utensils Of Wood by Evan Thomas. This is in B&W and most of the things are also in the Treen Book. Once I had seen pictures of what they should look like I started to make ones that looked good and did sell. I kept my first good one picture below.
First Goblet.jpg
My white wine glass
First Goblet.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 11007 times

The outside is turned using normal spindle turning tools and the inside using a variaty of hook tools which I made from old car springs. I discovered early on that they sometimes leaked or split, usualy on the really nice ones. Rather than burn these I stitched up the split and sealed the inside with bees wax. These became known as Bondage Goblets.
Bondage Goblet.jpg
Bondage Goblet
Bondage Goblet.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 11007 times

The type of wood is important, the closer grained the better, Sycamore and Beech work well. I have used Cherry a lot, but this often needs the bees wax treatment. The one below I made in a friends wood when I was teaching the owner how to make one. It is the one I now use all the time.
Red Wine Goblet.jpg
Red Wine Goblet
Red Wine Goblet.jpg (65.54 KiB) Viewed 11007 times

You can see the bees wax on this one has come away in places, but as it leaked through the end grain it still doesn't leak. As I now live in The Hebrides and my other favourite tipple is Malt Whisky I made myself a copy of a traditional drinking vessel from the Treen book. Having had a lot of whisky poured in and out of it all you have to do is smell it to know what it's used for.
Whisky cup.jpg
Whiskey Cup
Whisky cup.jpg (46.65 KiB) Viewed 11007 times

I reforged all my hook tools this summer, when on holiday in our friends wood, as they were showing their age and a few had been sharpened so often that there wasn't enough metal left to work with. I did do a goblet making demo at an AGM many years ago, maybe I might offer one for next year as there are alot of new members who might be interested to see how it's done.
If any one is interested I could post pictures of the hook tools I use, as they are a lot smaller than bowl making ones and do have curves in them to make it easier to get inside. I have also made an undercutting tool to help get the core out.
Time to go and use my whisky cup.
Brigstock Bodger57
Regular

Postby Stanleythecat » Wed Nov 23, 2011 10:11 pm

Thanks for showing us those.

I'd really love to see your tools if you are happy to share. I'd love to have a go at this.

Leo
Stanleythecat
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:03 am

Nice to see you posting on here Olvin, enjoy the whisky.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Brigstock Bodger57 » Fri Nov 25, 2011 2:38 pm

The hook tools I use are shown below, hope they show up OK as they are difficult things to photograph.
tools 1.jpg
tools 1.jpg (45.37 KiB) Viewed 10969 times

tools 2.jpg
tools 2.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 10969 times

tools 3.jpg
tools 3.jpg (46.07 KiB) Viewed 10969 times

tools 4.jpg
tools 4.jpg (47.85 KiB) Viewed 10969 times

As you can see they are rough and ready but do the job. I have spoken to people who have managed to make tools like these with a good quality gas torch. These were originaly made on a forge made using brikes, clay, a few palets,a simple blower ( I have seen one for blowing up air beds used or if lazy then a heater blower from a car connected to a battery charger) and charcaol that we had made.
Brigstock Bodger57
Regular

Postby Baggy » Fri Nov 25, 2011 9:03 pm

Hi Olvin

The goblets and whiskey cup look great, it would be good to see you make one of those one day.

Has the island dried out a bit yet?
Best wishes
Mark
----------------------------
I can spell but I cannot type.

Photos of the Chelmer and Blackwater canal
http://markbaigent.zenfolio.com/chelmer_blackwater
Baggy
Regular

Postby Brigstock Bodger57 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 2:29 pm

No it is still raining with upto 60 mph winds. Not an outdoors day. We now have lathe and shaving horse in a polly tunnel, to make the most of what little light there is but with winds like we have now it's not nice to be in there.
I will have to make one in the wood next summer when you are there and let you have a go.
Brigstock Bodger57
Regular

Postby Baggy » Sun Nov 27, 2011 12:28 pm

Hiya

Brigstock Bodger57 wrote:No it is still raining with upto 60 mph winds. Not an outdoors day. We now have lathe and shaving horse in a polly tunnel, to make the most of what little light there is but with winds like we have now it's not nice to be in there.
Brigstock Bodger57 wrote:We must have the back end of the wind here, I went to the wood today with the dog and the trees were thrashing about a lot.

Brigstock Bodger57 wrote:I will have to make one in the wood next summer when you are there and let you have a go.

That would be great :-)

I must build a lathe soon, I have used up all my spare timber beefing up the cheap shed that I brought :-(

Say hi to Nic
Best wishes
Mark
----------------------------
I can spell but I cannot type.

Photos of the Chelmer and Blackwater canal
http://markbaigent.zenfolio.com/chelmer_blackwater
Baggy
Regular

Previous

Return to Polelathe turning