CNC "whitled" furniture

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

CNC "whitled" furniture

Postby robin wood » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:57 am

http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Re: CNC "whitled" furniture

Postby woodness sake » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:50 pm

Yuck! My inner Luddite is offended. How dumb is this: spend thousands of pounds/dollars to have a machine (that is capable of incredible repetitive accuracy) turn out imitation "hand crafted" furniture. The up-right chest has three drawer front types but each type is the same pattern being turned upside down on the second drawer to appear as though each were made "originally". The same is true for the chair rungs. Again, Yuck! .
woodness sake
Regular

Postby steve tomlin » Wed Jan 12, 2011 5:25 pm

"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"
steve tomlin
Regular

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Wed Jan 12, 2011 6:38 pm

i assume it would be inappropriate of me to bring such a machine to the AGM? :wink:
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Postby Ian S » Wed Jan 12, 2011 8:50 pm

Hmmm, two minds about this.

In one respect I can't help thinking that it's a shame that someone could be churning out this stuff on an industrial scale - imagine, 50 identical 'CNC hand carved' Adirondack chairs - which one would I choose :roll: ?

Having said that, I know nothing about Adirondack style furniture, but I now see another couple of possible projects for when I'm in the woods this year (Bob, you reading this?). I'm definitely keen on looking into Adirondack furniture as a style, and seeing if there's a possibility of making some Adirondack-inspired stuff.

Cheers
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby robin wood » Thu Jan 13, 2011 9:48 am

steve tomlin wrote:"imitation is the sincerest form of flattery"

That was exactly my feeling. There was a time when all furniture was hand made and so uniformity and regularity was something to be prized. Now nearly all furniture is machine made it is irregularity that is prized. I feel the same way about this that I do about so many power turned vessels which having been turned smooth are then "textured". It feels a bit of a pastiche, it is pretending to be something it is not. Having said that I bet it sells well.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Rich Dyson » Thu Jan 13, 2011 8:31 pm

I miss read the thread - I thought this was an early entry for the 'Themed Item' at the Bodger's Ball...
Rich Dyson
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:39 pm

It reminds me of the fake adze/ axe effect on beams in pubs. It looked fake and badly done and made me puke. To me this is bad design and looks ugly, I have nothing against CNC machines and with a designer that understands material and function it can be used to produce fantastic stuff. I read some of the comments on the link and a lot of people love it, which just confirms to me that you can sell anything to anyone.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Robin Fawcett » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 pm

SeanHellman wrote:It reminds me of the fake adze/ axe effect on beams in pubs. It looked fake and badly done and made me puke.

I agree Sean and what about the beams which are cast in fiberglass!?
http://www.facebook.com/GreenWoodwork?ref=tn_tnmn[url=http://www.treewright.co.uk/]
Green woodwork courses, treen, demonstrations & talks http://www.treewright.co.uk[/url]
Robin Fawcett
Site Admin

Postby RichardLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:06 pm

SeanHellman wrote:It reminds me of the fake adze/ axe effect on beams in pubs. It looked fake and badly done and made me puke.

Careful with that axe Eugene!

This lintel beam is in the room where I'm now sitting. It was formerly covered in plaster for at least 60 years. Those axe marks (butchery you may say) are some plasterer's short cut to getting his plaster to key and quicker than nailing on laths. I've seen this quite a bit. I do agree, however, that terrible things have been done in the name of making things look 'original'. It is almost worse when it's done to new wood!
RichardLaw
Regular

Postby RichardLaw » Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:17 pm

BTW That CNC stuff doesn't bear much resemblance to proper glorious Adirondack furniture which retained much stronger links with the woods, especially incorporation of small diameter round wood, of which the drawer fronts seem to be a hopeless immitation. Generally they were also much more muscular.
RichardLaw
Regular

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner