Recording all those brilliant ideas - how do YOU do it?

Discuss new ways of doing things, old ways adapted to new contexts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Recording all those brilliant ideas - how do YOU do it?

Postby gavin » Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm

Jack Sichel (sometime assistant with Mike Abbott) helped me at Royal Highland Show. When asking him for feedback as to how we could do it better next time, he asked if I kept a scrap book. He mentioned that Mike does, and these scrap books are the initial basis for the information which Mike distills into his published books.

That set me thinking. I do keep spiral bound A4 blank notebooks for sketches and ideas, and to record various processes and sometimes dimension. And I don't use it much - often there are months between the dates of my entries. And I have not kept a more general record relating to those non-technical but important processes e.g. of how to lay out the sales table at a show, or alterations to the wording of a business card, or a diary of events attended. I wondered why not, and decided the spiral binding, very hard cover and square hard corners and A4 size were barriers to taking such a notebook on the road or into the woods i.e anywhere but the shed.

So I got me a Moleskine blank A5 size notebook, and have been happily jotting ideas in it ever since. It just fits into some of my trouser's leg pockets. I only wish it were pink or yellow covered instead of black, then I would be less likely to lose it. I like the Moleskine ones 'cos they have a pocket at the back to put in bits of paper or cards or tickets or labels, and they have rounded corners and a semi-soft cover - altho' Moleskine describe it as hard.

Mine started like this:
Image - until I spilt milk over it. :roll:
The Amazon reference is http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/8883701151

What method(s)do other folk use to record their ideas and processes?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Re: Recording all those brilliant ideas - how do YOU do it?

Postby robin wood » Fri Jul 15, 2011 10:44 pm

If it's worth remembering I remember it, if it's not I don't.

That only goes for physical stuff because my memory works well on that. I do have notebooks for all more academic stuff, all my museum visits, all my Heritage Crafts Association meetings etc.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:08 am

robin wood wrote: I do have notebooks for all more academic stuff, all my museum visits, all my Heritage Crafts Association meetings etc.

- What size are they?
- Are the pages with lines or are they blank ?
- Have you a book per each activity e.g. one for museum visits, one for HCA?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:52 am

I have an imitation moleskin that fits a suit pocket but rarely use it. I tend to go with cheap ring bound note books of the type all reporters use. These fill quickly and can be filed but I don't get to the stage where I am carrying around 3 years research in my pocket which I would find stressful. For HCA I am normally in meetings sat at a table where note taking is more normal so I have a bigger pad bit smaller than A4 hardback. All ruled but I can doodle drawings across the lines no prob. Tear bits out to give folk etc. I do like the art school tradition of keeping a nice large scale notebook full of sketches and ideas. Had I started doing this 20 years ago when I started my experiments with bowl turning it would have been fun to look back on but I am not sure it would actually have helped me much along the way. In many ways I use my blog in the way artists use their notebooks as an informal record of activity and musings.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Postby Ian S » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:42 am

I bought a packet of three small Moleskine notebooks (soft cover - almost a thin card), and I'm still using the first. Various scribbles, notes, diagrams etc added as and when needed.

I only carry it for woodworking type trips, or if I need a notebook for going somewhere.

I like having a notebook and a pen that writes nicely - something that the laptop or mini or ultra mini PC brigade are maybe missing out on. I might just buy a few other notebooks in different sizes....

Cheers
How sharp is sharp enough?
Ian S
Regular

Postby Terence » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:26 pm

I use Ryman brand blank notebooks as they're way cheaper than the moleskine's but have grand paper and hard covers. As I've been studying for the last 4 years and did part of an art degree in the past I use notebooks a lot but not much for my woodwork. I never took notes making baskets either, the memory stays in the hands I suppose. I find it really tedious trying to draw baskets, or spoons or whatever, and the process of drawing doesnt help with making that much. Its a different story when studying anatomy - the drawing cements it into your memory.

I do make woodwork/basketmaking notes and drawings when I'm going a few weeks without a chance to do any carving or turning or baskets. Its like a poor substitute for the real thing that just keeps my mind ticking over, but once I get back to working with the hands I stop drawing or making notes.
Terence
Regular

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:30 pm

I can t draw to save my life. I tend to try not to have brilliant ideas.
For things I have to remember I use bits of paper. My double cab hilix acts as my filing cabinet, somewhere in there us the scrap of paper I need
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:07 pm

I took a little hard back notebook, about the size of one of those little Lett's diaries but wider when I visited Yosemite as a young man. It probably came from WH Smith or the local book/art store. It was small enough that I could carry it everywhere with me, to keep a diary/log. (I don't normally keep a diary but we had big plans for the trip - which for the most part we fulfilled.) If something is easy to carry, I find I use it much more.

Unused filofax-clones show up quite often at car boot sales - often in those girly colours you mention (to avoid loss). I used to like those hardback A4 lab books but now prefer the smaller A5 versions, or cheaper card back versions. I found one particularly nice notebook in the USA, school workbook sized (i.e. quite slim) with a shiny hard brown cover, I still have it. Probably from OfficeMax or similar stationary store.

A guitar teacher I knew used to pin up song ideas on his basement wall (like a scrap book in poster form) and used to call his home answering machine to record melody/lick ideas if "the muse visited him" at work (other times he'd record onto a cassette he used at work). These days a smartphone could be used as a dictaphone and the camera used to capture a digital image. I've heard of folk keeping notebooks by their bed in case they wake with a good idea. I used to carry a note book in my car in the US as I would sometimes get ideas for things to try while sat in traffic.

Combat trousers (BDUs/ACUs/SFUs) have bellows pockets big enough for quite large books (or submachine gun magazines/specs/folding saw/carrier bag) ;)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Davie Crockett » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:19 am

I keep a notebook by the bed, I go to bed cogitating a problem and usually wake up in the small hours with a solution of sorts which I scribble down. The following day/later on these ideas can be refined.

I believe this method uses both hemispheres of the brain as well as areas which aren't accessed by the waking mind.

I've been using this method since reading a book years ago by Tony Buzan on mind mapping/problem solving...I can't recommend it highly enough!

My sons modified shave horse http://www.bodgers.org.uk/bb/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=813&start=150 was the result of this method.
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Return to Experiments and Ideas AKA Heretic's Corner