Impact of Facebook

vaguely woodworking

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Impact of Facebook

Postby Ken Hume » Wed May 21, 2014 7:34 am

With the rise of Facebook - many persons now have their own pages where they post photos and photo albums which is great however it means that instead of us all seeing and hearing about members exploits that only "friends" now get that opportunity.

I wonder if the day of persons visiting a centralised forum is drawing to a close ?

Do the forum moderators here have any thoughts on this matter ?

Ken Hume
Ken Hume
Regular

Re: Impact of Facebook

Postby bulldawg_65 » Wed May 21, 2014 3:03 pm

There aren't just personal pages. There are common interest pages as well. For example, there is a group page called Spoon Carving, Green Woodworking and Sloyd, there's another for Spoonfest and another for the Spoon Gathering. I admin the first and I am a member of all of them. I still come here for information and to see what other's are doing.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby Paul Thornton 2sheds » Thu May 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I agree with Phillipe on this issue but admit I visit this forum less frequently now than I used to.
I do recall at one point on this forum though, it was requested folk did not used it as a gallery/blog type space for their projects!

I don't want to see this forum go tho :)
learning more every day
Paul Thornton 2sheds
Regular

Postby AlexanderTheLate » Thu May 22, 2014 6:58 pm

This forum seems to be more 'business' oriented. It is not an arena for socialization- indeed, thems the rules:

"The aim of these forums is to inform, educate and pass on knowledge about greenwood working and related subjects.
If your comments don't contribute to the sum of human knowledge please find somewhere else to make them.
"
-Hughspencer phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=420

This site is a library for information, and there's never a crowd in a library. As such, I would not use this forum as a representative example of all forums, I frequent forums where there are at least a hundred posts a day, every day. Most of the members of them probably have face book accounts (some of those forums have 'groups' on Facebook to go along with the forum it's self). they're like apples and oranges, people go to forums for different things then they would look for on face book. for the record, I don't have a face book account.

There are forums that have been created, and that have built up a solid member base since face book became popular.
I fear the day that technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots.- Unknown.
AlexanderTheLate
Regular

Postby davestovell » Fri May 23, 2014 8:10 am

Facebook is ok but within just a few days the postings have gone and as far as know, non-searchable.

The important differance of this type of forum is that the information is layered chronologically by subject and is searchable.

I can look for information and get answers and opinions from years back.

I use both but hope that this type of forum is recognised for it's importance, It is more like a wisdom than a passing conversation.
davestovell
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sat May 24, 2014 3:45 pm

Personally, I won't use facebook & I do like forums.
Paul Thornton 2sheds wrote:...it was requested folk did not used it as a gallery/blog type space for their projects!...

Indeed. And discussion curtailed. This forum is small and seems actively trying to make itself smaller - there is nothing wrong with that per se - e.g. perhaps the server/server support capacity/budget is limited or perhaps the bodgers org want it to be more exclusve? On the other hand, if you are looking to grow the forum - you are going about it the wrong way.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat May 24, 2014 8:15 pm

This forum will fall or fly according to its relevance and usefulness. I find this forum very useful to share techniques and methods. It is not a social hang-out and those who post pictures of 'look what I just made' have been asked to stop doing that. The Facebook pages mentioned above are much more welcoming of that kind of sharing - there is clearly a need for that, which is intentionally not satisfied here.

I am definitely all for people getting active with ANY project at all. I have no wish to read about them - unless there is a question or need for help.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Ken Hume » Wed May 28, 2014 7:57 am

Hi Gavin,

I had not realised that there was a policy here to discourage people from posting pics on this forum and this might in some small way explain the drop in traffic to this site but I suspect that it is more to do with a general move away from a hub type forum to a personal satellite type post facility like Facebook.

I would certainly welcome Oxfordshire based bodgers and forum visitors posting pics of their work on The Oxfordshire Woodland Group Forum (Bodgers section). We are very keen to connect tree growers with wood users

I like looking at pictures.

Ken Hume
Ken Hume
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed May 28, 2014 9:24 am

Ken Hume wrote:Hi Gavin,

I had not realised that there was a policy here to discourage people from posting pics on this forum and this might in some small way explain the drop in traffic to this site but I suspect that it is more to do with a general move away from a hub type forum to a personal satellite type post facility like Facebook.

I would certainly welcome Oxfordshire based bodgers and forum visitors posting pics of their work on The Oxfordshire Woodland Group Forum (Bodgers section). We are very keen to connect tree growers with wood users

I like looking at pictures.

Ken Hume

There is no policy to discourage people posting pics. There is absolutely a policy to encourage sharing of knowledge and information - by all means, post pictures to support that. And do post pics if you have a question about a process, or you have a tip or idea to share. But don't post pics here if all you do is only to show off what you have made. I have given up looking at the Facebook site above simply because I both gained and contributed nothing by looking at pics of yet another carved bowl / spoon there. For me the signal-to-noise ratio is far too low. I know I'll be missing out on some valuable information - but I got sick of reading non-useful material.

For someone seeking to build a local community and presence in Oxfordshire as you are, I think showing off pix on your own forum is a really good idea.
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Brian Williamson » Wed May 28, 2014 8:25 pm

gavin wrote:This forum will fall or fly according to its relevance and usefulness. I find this forum very useful to share techniques and methods. It is not a social hang-out and those who post pictures of 'look what I just made' have been asked to stop doing that.

Amen to that!

I enjoy the question and answer nature of this forum and learn a lot from it (and hope that I contribute to it, as well). If it became more 'social' and a bigger reservoir of blog-type posts than it already is. I would abandon it rapidly.

Knowledge is power; other peoples holiday snaps are boring (and that's sometimes what it feels I'm looking at).

Brian.
http://www.westcountrycoppice.co.uk

undergreenwood.wordpress.com

'Measure twice and cut once'
Brian Williamson
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Wed May 28, 2014 8:58 pm

Like I said earlier in this thread, I follow both this forum and I admin the Green woodworking site. Dave Stovell, you mentioned the facebook group is unsearchable. It is searchable, but not as easily searchable as this forum. That is also why we have a large file section so pertinent information can be easily found. Believe it or not, the bodger's forum is listed as a resource for green woodworkers in the Green Woodworking Facebook group. Also I think while both this forum and the Facebook group serve similar functions they do so differently. The FB group is not only to share information, but to inspire and teach green woodworkers with the photos of the work.

Whether you follow social media or not, it is here to stay and is becoming more and more popular. However, that does not mean forums like this have lost their relevancy. First, it is a fantastic repository of knowledge on green woodworking and is still a great tool for communicating among the membership. Second, should Facebook and other social media groups continue to become more invasive or should they start charging for their services, these forums will be the primary resource once again.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Wed May 28, 2014 10:16 pm

bulldawg_65 wrote:That is also why we have a large file section so pertinent information can be easily found..

Thanks for that Phil - I did not know that! I should re-visit it.
The fact your Facebook page has thousands of registered members and heaps of posting every day is telling us that Facebook clearly works for some folk. The more making that happens the better - so good for you for starting that off!
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Thu May 29, 2014 5:05 am

Thanks Gavin, it does seem to work well and I think the group has helped make our craft more visible and popular. One other thing, advanced carvers that continue to post and comment have been able to build sales from the group as there are just as many people interested in purchasing wooden ware as there are people making it. :)
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Thu May 29, 2014 8:30 am

Here is the file section - there is loads of good stuff there : https://www.facebook.com/groups/GreenWoodWork/files/ :D
Gavin Phillips

info@shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby Ken Hume » Thu May 29, 2014 8:42 am

Hi Brian (et al),

I made a significant timeline photo post on the OWG web forum following the progress made by Brian Williamson and Ruth Goodfellow in applying battens and shingles to the Harcourt Arboretum cruck roof.

We wanted to inform and inspire others to consider using this type of roof and to demonstrate it's efficacy for this purpose in the wider hope that this will create more demand for this woodland product and associated greenwood craft services. It is anything but boring as demonstrated by the 216 views already made - that's quite a crowd and I do readily confess to enjoying the privilege of seeing Brian and Ruth in action on the roof (no lewd interpretations please).

Ken Hume OWG
Ken Hume
Regular

Next

Return to Any other business