first ladel! (unfinished)

For all those other associated crafts.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

first ladel! (unfinished)

Postby Andy Coates » Sun Jun 08, 2008 9:54 pm

I found a link to a youtude video of a ladel being made on here last night...but can't find it now! So I've posted this here.

I had a lull today at the workshop and decided to give it a go (having only carved a few spoons to date!).

It's unfinished as yet, but you'll get the idea. The branch, and smaller branch section had been sitting in the workshop for about 12 months, so was really too dry at this stage, so I worked it on the lathe first! (you can't take the turner out!)

Turning the cup was fun, with the handle/branch flying around at 1500rpm. But it has given me ideas for other things, so it was sorth it. And the discovery of a live worm in the handle section was annoying, as I had to carve beyond the worm damage. But you live and learn.
Andy Coates
Regular

Postby paul atkin » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:16 pm

lovely ladle andy, i have done a few myself on the power lathe( you are not alone) and yep things do get a bit scary, but its well worth it.
paul atkin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Jun 09, 2008 12:57 pm

I get scared with the handle flying round at pole lathe speeds, even then it goes invisible. I suspect if you forgot where it was and got your hand in the way it would do rather a lot of damage. Nice project though, thanks for the pictures.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Return to Greenwood crafts