Saw Vise Making Session Fri 31 Aug, St Fagans, Wales

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Saw Vise Making Session Fri 31 Aug, St Fagans, Wales

Postby gavin » Tue Jul 24, 2012 10:06 pm

A new toy: :D
P7244485 (Small).JPG
P7244485 (Small).JPG (52.99 KiB) Viewed 1569 times

I will be at St Fagan's museum near Cardiff as part of Carpenter's Fellowship 'FRAME' annual meeting. I will run a sesssion Fri 31 August 2012 where you can make your own vise like this.

If you'd like to come to St Fagan's it will cost you materials only to make your own vise. You pay up front, we get the materials delivered, you go home with a vise and probably some saw-sharpening skills to boot.

If you’d like to attend, PM me by 22 hours Tuesday 21 August and tell me how long your longest saw is. Add 12 inches and that is your vise-length. (Make sure you can transport that home!)

This style of vise is from US saw-guru Dolly Chapman. She has been using a vise like this for over 20 years to sharpen over 1,000 saws. She comments:

It is easy to set up and break down and doesn’t take up too much space.
• It can be set up on uneven ground (outside) and adjusted higher or lower for different-height people.
• You can work on either side of the saw
• When you set the teeth, you turn the vise so the saw is horizontal and you hold the anvil under the tooth and swing the hammer straight down. It’s much easier to be accurate with a firm swing aimed straight down than sideways.

Cost will be materials only, which I anticipate will be approx £60.

I will arrange timber and the right kind of eyebolts – we just need enough tools e.g. trestles, saws, planes, drawknives, drills between us. Simples!
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Return to Tools