SawStop - Not hand tool related

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

SawStop - Not hand tool related

Postby Billman » Thu Mar 27, 2014 9:34 pm

Hi

I know that power tools are not the usual topics on the site, but just found this link on the subject of safeguarding table saws, and it makes very interesting reading:

http://fcir.org/2013/05/16/power-tool-i ... ies-mount/

One wonders how much such devices would add to the cost of a table saw - how much are your fingers worth???
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Re: SawStop - Not hand tool related

Postby TonyH » Fri Mar 28, 2014 10:58 am

One also wonders why in the US they don't/won't use a crown guard and riving knife, which would be a much cheaper way of reducing table saw accidents, which don't wreck your saw by their protective action.

I take "Fine Woodworking", an American publication, and photos of people doing things I would not be willing to do are common. Cutting coving by running wood diagonally over a tablesaw with all the guards removed, for example. And that's without going into the antics on display on YouTube !
TonyH
Regular

Postby Billman » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:45 pm

In the article it states they now supply a crown gaurd and riving knife, so at least there is better protcetion available in the US (up to UK standards at least) - I do use a saw without guard occasionaly, e.g rebating - but I am very wary as it scares me to death in case I slip (as a musician I value my fingers very much)... Push sticks and guides (often clamped to the saw table) help...
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Mar 28, 2014 1:48 pm

The picture in the article turned my stomach turn and reminds me of why I avoid power tools as far as practical. To his credit, in the USA, Norm Abram on the popular PBS TV show New Yankee Workshop always used a wooden pushing stick with his saw table - and pointed that out to viewers. (I didn't do any woodworking at the time but loved to watch Norm making stuff!).

Norm with his bench saw, push stick & safety glasses: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pi5XS7K1TEw
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Tools