Crook Knives and Carving Axes

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Crook Knives and Carving Axes

Postby Tlil » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I am looking to buy a pair of crook knives, one right and one left handed, and a carving axe for spoon carving. I have used the Ben Orford small standard crook knives and was well impressed. Having looked at Robin Woods website I am quite drawn to buying the blades and fashioning my own handles, and also purchasing the wood carving axe he has on offer. However before I commit any hard earned cash I thought I would ask for some feed back from this forum.
All comments gratefully received.

Tim
Tlil
Regular

Re: Crook Knives and Carving Axes

Postby jez » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:08 am

Have a look at Nic Westermann's stuff, if he isn't sold out.
jez
Regular

Postby Lozzuck » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:03 pm

jez wrote:Have a look at Nic Westermann's stuff, if he isn't sold out.

I bought a couple of knives last week from Nic,after being recommended, a hook roughing knife and a sloyd knife. A finishing knife was ordered at the same time and should be here shortly. I've only made a handle for the sloyd knife yet (so I can use it to make the other handles) it is superb, probably the sharpest I've ever bought.
Heres a link if thats allowed
http://nicwestermann.co.uk/nics-photographs/
Gaz
Never too old to learn, but often too old to remember
Lozzuck
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:57 pm

I followed Robin Wood's advice for tools when I got started and I still rate it highly. It is, no doubt, the distillation of his years of personal experience and his discussions with other craftsmen from around the world.

That said, Nic & Ben also have considerable experience & expertise, especially making tools for green woodworking & bushcraft. You will likely get excellent tools & service from which ever one(s) you choose. I've been very please with my small Ben Orford knives and I have seen axe heads & knife blades made by Nic that look great (& no doubt exceptionally sharp).
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Tools