Lubricants

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Lubricants

Postby Stanford Peverill » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:40 pm

Hiya Made a few ash spindles with my new rounding planes recently and was wondering if there was a natural 'lubricant' to reduce the high squeak coming from the cutting process. Bit worried that the local residents or the local H&S officer with a meter will be knocking on my door. Thanks in anticipation.
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Re: Lubricants

Postby 81stBRAT » Fri Feb 12, 2016 12:09 pm

Too much friction between turning part and tool. I have had a smoke curl up from rounding tools, just adjust cutting blade in a fraction.
Richard
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby Kevin Downing » Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:11 pm

A drop of linseed oil in the rounder.
Kevin Downing
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:07 pm

Thanks Kevin and 81st BRAT will give both ideas a try
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby 81stBRAT » Sat Feb 13, 2016 1:49 pm

Just a thought, if you have friction enough to make noise adding oil as a lubricant, maybe a fire risk?
Richard
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby Stanford Peverill » Sat Feb 13, 2016 6:20 pm

Thanks for that after thought but I don't think I will be causing any sparks rouning spindles
Stanford Peverill
Regular

Postby 81stBRAT » Sun Feb 14, 2016 4:06 pm

its not sparks you have to mind, friction if the dowel is to tight, I have had smoke and the shavings turning black, so not far off combustion
Richard
81stBRAT
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:38 pm

I use wax, any wax from candle wax to furniture wax. I also can get high pitched noises without there being to much friction between wood and brass collar
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby Billman » Wed Feb 24, 2016 10:49 am

In any cutting process the blade deforms the material being cut - I guess in this case the round spindle is 'relaxing' as it moves out from under the blade, and thus becoming tight in the guide - with a wooden rounding engine it is possible to relieve the internal diameter of the guide to reduce the contact area - not so possible with a modern all metal one... You need to lubricate the part that has been cut - how you do this with it inside the cutter is not going to be easy - any lubricant applied before hand will be removed in the cutting process... Some form of silicon or PTFE spray on the guide may help....
Collector and restorer of old agricultural edge tools, especially billhooks
Billman
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Sat Mar 05, 2016 5:17 pm

Be careful with silicon sprays etc, they interfere with any stain you may put onto the wood and some other finishes. I know that most furniture makes just do not have silicon in the workshop and never use it on tools that may come in contact with wood.
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Return to Tools