Spring Pole Lathe Capabilities

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Spring Pole Lathe Capabilities

Postby ilerner2 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 10:30 pm

Gentlemen, I am wanting to build a lathe for turning cylinders/spindles 9 inches in diameter x 5 feet in length. Would it be unreasonable to consider doing this on a spring pole lathe? I'm thinking with that much wood mass it would take a while for it to slow down - reverse directions - only to have to slow down and repeat. Perhaps a treadle lathe would be better suited to such a task? thanks
ilerner2
Regular

Re: Spring Pole Lathe Capabilities

Postby Davie Crockett » Wed Apr 05, 2017 10:33 am

Have a look here: https://dblaney.wordpress.com/category/springpole-lathe/ This guy has modified a Roy Underhill spring pole lathe and claims to have a swing (working diameter) of 20" with a bed of 60"! As you suggest, inertia and rotational speed may be a problem with larger items and you may need to use a drive diameter reduction mandrel to get enough working rotation. (At 9" diameter you'll need 27" travel on the treadle to get one rotation).
Keep us posted!
AKA Dave Munday
Davie Crockett
Regular

Re: Spring Pole Lathe Capabilities

Postby ilerner2 » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:40 pm

Thanks Davie, I have come across this lathe in previous searches looking for designs. My concern is that the rotational mass of such a large hunk of wood would/could over power the spring pole, bungie or other such motor and break it as the inertial forces of a large piece like this would not want to be stopped so quickly.
ilerner2
Regular

Return to Tools