Robbin Wood Spoon Carving Tools kit------MORE?

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Robbin Wood Spoon Carving Tools kit------MORE?

Postby ilerner2 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:15 pm

Morning all, I have just ordered the Robbin Wood spoon carving tools kit and I'm very excited to receive it.

http://wood-tools.co.uk/tools/robin-woo ... arter-kit/

I live in Mexico where tools of pretty much any kind seem to be cheap low end stuff from China.....affordable for the masses. As I only get a chance to have items brought down from the USA or Canada once or twice a year by friends or family, I'm wondering if there are other accompanying items that I would be well served by that I could/should order to get me off to a flying start in spoon and possibly bowl carving? I've not carved spoons before and have currently no other "spoon carving" tools.

I have a few planes, spoke shave, draw knife, small pruning saw, Shopsmith 7 in 1 power tool but prefer the use of hand tools. What else if anything do I need or would find very usefull? Thanks
ilerner2
Regular

Re: Robbin Wood Spoon Carving Tools kit------MORE?

Postby HughSpencer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Hi ilerner2.
Welcome to the forum.
I'm just thinking what is in my toolkit that I would not be without.
I bought a froe from Bristol Tools many years ago. However, its quite straight forward to make one out of a piece of truck leaf-spring.
It makes splitting logs a whole lot easier.
You might like a small hook knife from http://benandloisorford.com/carving-tools/.
My wife has one that has quite a shallow hook and a bit shorter in the blade that gets used the whole time.
There are a number of shave-horse designs that you can make that would be good to hold work while you work on it.
One thing that I find very worthwhile is a set of diamond coated sharpening files.

Oh, and add a first aid kit for when you get things wrong :-)

Regards
Hugh
HughSpencer
Site Admin

Re: Robbin Wood Spoon Carving Tools kit------MORE?

Postby ilerner2 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 8:18 pm

Thank you Hugh, I'll do some shopping. grin
ilerner2
Regular

Return to Tools