Shaving horses

discussion of anything related to tools

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Re: Shaving horses

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 7:54 pm

SeanHellman wrote:The Smarthead shaving horse designed by Peter Galbert
... I found it simple to make and all you need is a plank of wood and a jigsaw... This is not going to be for everyone, but I love it.
Simple to make?! :D But then you are Sean Hellman. I have a plank of wood and a jig saw but I can't seem them making one of those anytime soon, unfortunately. It's an impressive thing though - puts me in mind of the wooden clocks I saw at the weekend. Is it strong?

Perhaps I need one of those axe handle holders Witt posted an image of. I used a bench vice for the draw knife work but it took a heavy toll on the bench :(. [A similar device features in one of the youtube axe handle videos - the modern b&w video.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jul 25, 2012 8:20 pm

Simon Lamb's shave horse design appeals to me - relatively few parts:
simon wrote:Another one to add to the herd. I wanted to make smaller shavehorse. I am over 6ft and tend to make things to fit myself. That can leave other people streching a bit. I used my wife,who just tops 5ft as a guide for this one. The main part is birch and the rest is ash.
ImageImageImageImage

I've seen something similar elsewhere (unfortunately struggling to find the link) but the front of their horse points down more, like a horse's neck stooping for water. The end leg goes into the end face. I'm quite heavy though and wonder if a tripod design will be strong enough for me.
cropped shave horses.jpg
cropped shave horses.jpg (34.14 KiB) Viewed 19018 times
scraphorn -saw horse -crop.jpg
scraphorn -saw horse -crop.jpg (49.3 KiB) Viewed 19018 times

gavin wrote:To be fair, the publisher does give you the chance to try it for 14 days free AND they demand card details up front. For those who don't mind that, BullDawgs link would prove very useful -...
You are right to be wary. Be careful of this type of offer -- they make it easy to sign up on-line but often make it difficult to cancel. Often it has to be cancelled by phone, if you can find the instructions and the number. You may be charged for the call, when/if they finally answer your call. I think it is unethical but I know of several large, well-known, supposedly "reputable" companies that continue to use this "wheeze" :(.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby SeanHellman » Wed Jul 25, 2012 10:13 pm

Tonewood,I am sure you could make one, Peter suppliers all the plans to scale, just print out and stick on the wood. I am constantly surprised what people make if they put their mind to it. Those other shaving horses I like and when I get a suitable bit of wood………..
Notice how the angle of the bed is quite steep on them, you are pulling the drawknife up, I find this an awkward angle. I would suggest a 10 degree angle on the bench. If you want more stability use four legs
"Scarcely anything is original- it`s very hard to be totally inventive, so I am not terribly interested in originality. Vitality is all I care about" Clive James
Green wood courses, tools, demonstrations.
http://www.seanhellman.com/woodwork/
SeanHellman
Regular

Postby simon » Mon Jul 30, 2012 7:10 pm

SeanHellman wrote: If you want more stability use four legs

Three legs always touch the ground, four legs can wobble.
Make it, mend it, wear it out,
Make it do or do without.
FB Simon Lamb Green woodwork
simon
Regular

Postby Cracker » Sun Sep 02, 2012 5:57 pm

Made for a customer. Oak and ash.
Cracker
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:46 pm

SeanHellman wrote:...I have also made a workshop horse that is adjustable in every dimension, which is very useful in finding out which heights you would like to work at.

If you would like to see more photos have a look at my blog http://seanhellman.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2009-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&updated-max=2010-01-01T00%3A00%3A00Z&max-results=13
I just noticed this Sean. It reminds me of 2 systems that some serious/competition cyclists use to determine what frame size/seat height/stem/cleat alignment settings they need - typically used before ordering a custom frame/bike or immediately before/after buying a new bike (first serious one typically). The best known one was called Fit-kit and there is a competing version by Serotta. The bike stores used to charge quite a lot for this service, $50 sometimes more*, although I guess they might discount it if you bought a bike. Fortunately, the old fashioned system of riding around a bit and adjusting things until they feel right still works well too though ;) - it just takes more time.

e.g. something like these:
http://bikedynamics.co.uk/
http://trekdg.com/articles/the-serotta- ... e-pg79.htm
ImageImageImage
*A lot more in this case (expensive): http://www.westpointcycles.com/fitting/

Do you use it to make custom-fit shave horses to order? Capturing a few key measurement could take a lot of the trial-and-error guesswork out of making shave horse for a particular user. Seems a bit "un-greenwood" but perhaps this is how greenwood crafts can progress. Might help avoid repetitive strain injuries as well as unnecessary discomfort.
Last edited by ToneWood on Wed Aug 07, 2013 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sat Sep 15, 2012 5:41 am

Just wanted to show off my new horse. White Oak. I have a few things I need to adjust I think before it is perfect for me. 1) I need to shorten the bottom of the lever. 2) I need a larger foot brace. 3) I need to either reconfigure the dumbhead or pad it with leather. What do you think?
Attachments
Shaving Horse.JPG
Shaving Horse.JPG (31.36 KiB) Viewed 18849 times
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby gavin » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:25 am

bulldawg_65 wrote: 1) I need to shorten the bottom of the lever.
2) I need a larger foot brace.
3) I need to either reconfigure the dumbhead or pad it with leather. What do you think?

1.To calculate the lever-shortness, set the legs up on blocks to see how much shortness is ideal for you.

2. Try reversing the footbrace plate to see if more length will help. You could also screw a bit of softwood to the existing footbrace plate to see what width will work. In practice you'll find it is the width of both boots side-by-side.

3. refer pp268-270 Drew Langsner's Chairmaker's Workshop for his shave horse design. He has approx 10 to 15 degree slope on the underside of the dumbhead. Yours is flat, so when your dumbhead swings it bites hard and sharp on its leading edge. I made one on his design, and it works pretty good BUT I would make the legs with bigger tenons next time and not 1" as he suggests.
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby bulldawg_65 » Sun Sep 16, 2012 9:06 pm

Thanks Gavin.

I'll be altering the dumbhead exactly the way you describe because there just isn't enough of the dumbhead touching the piece I am working on. I have to shorten the bottom of the lever by exactly two inches. For one that will give enough clearance for a longer plate and yes I do need to widen it. I will follow your suggestion on this. Last, my tenons are much larger than 1 inch. They are 1 inch thick but closer to 3 and 4 inches long.
Phil Steele
bulldawg_65
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Sep 16, 2012 11:05 pm

FYI Wille Sundqvist's book (& Drew Langsners book) has a plan for a dead-head shave horse - attributed to Drew Langsner - with some dimensions on it.
UPDATE: Jogge Sundqvist's book has a similar shave horse but with many more of the necessary dimensions shown & more normal/simplified leg attachment.
Last edited by ToneWood on Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:56 pm

Nice piece on shave horse ergonomics for those with back pains (@around 7:30min): http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/video/2900/2911.html
ToneWood
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Mon Dec 17, 2012 2:10 pm

SeanHellman wrote:Tonewood,I am sure you could make one...I am constantly surprised what people make if they put their mind to it...
Thanks for the encouragement & help Sean, Witt, Gavin et al. I finally have a shave horse of my own to post :), I can hardly believe it. The construction process/problems are described elsewhere. As you can see, it doesn't have a smart-head, yet - but I figure that can be a future project.
Image Image
In hindsight, perhaps I should have started with a smaller, simpler, lighter, 3-legged English-style shave-horse. However, I am "as pleased as Punch" with my dumb-head shave horse.
[It is based on Drew Langsner's Swiss design, using Jogge Sundqvist's plans.]
ToneWood
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:06 am

Sean,
Do you think the toothed parts of a Peter Galbert smarthead horse could be made from ply wood say 18 mm thick?
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:44 pm

Interesting optimized shave horse in the latest edition of Drew Langsner's Countryworkshop newsletter: http://www.countryworkshops.org/newsletter38/index.html
Image<--Carl Swensson's shaving horse.
More info. at the above link.
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Cracker » Wed Feb 27, 2013 7:26 pm

Cracker
Regular

PreviousNext

Return to Tools