Antique "Bump" Mortiser and various tools

This forum is for folks who sell things say what they sell and where to buy. Use as a 'signpost' not a 'shopfront'. Posting price lists of your wares is not permitted.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

Forum rules
No long price lists please.
Conduct negotations 'off forum' via the message system

Antique "Bump" Mortiser and various tools

Postby Kerry » Mon Nov 26, 2012 11:43 am

I've had this "Bump" Mortiser for many years, it came from a local estate, in lieu of payment, complete with a score of blades, some by Marples. There are a few broken teeth on the "rack and pinion" operated by the large wheel at the front, but the action is unaffected. There is adjustment for the height of the work piece, and the whole thing dismantles into a small number of large pieces, (rather than the opposite!)
It's a real beauty, and I'm rather attached to it, but my main feeling is that someone could find it very useful indeed, as well as sharing my appreciation of a fine old piece of machinery.
I'm not a dealer, I work for a charity which sends tools to Africa, and when antique tools are donated we seek permission to sell them to cover shipping costs etc. At present I have a small stock of Tyzack saws and chisels, some fine old planes, a nice Adze, several toolchests, and many other small items of antique interest ... (violin-maker's spokeshave anyone ?)
I'm situated in Bentham, near Lancaster, and since retiring from Blacksmithing, I've got hooked on turning tiny articles of uncertain purpose, from huge chunks of beautiful wood - so I'll be taking a look at the rest of the site with interest.
I've already been inspired to put better handles on my knife and fork ...
Attachments
P1010723.JPG
P1010723.JPG (159.22 KiB) Viewed 6327 times
Kerry

Re: Antique "Bump" Mortiser and various tools

Postby DickAtkinson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:35 pm

Hello Kerry,

I expect to be in Bentham over the weekend of 15th/16th December. Could we meet and view your tools, please.

I can be contacted on dick at grinalot dot org dot uk.
DickAtkinson
Regular

Postby ToneWood » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:46 pm

What a great looking machine - cuts mortices too. Do you have any pictures of the tools esp. the adze? We like adzes, and axes, knives, saws, chisels & gouges :)
ToneWood
Regular

Postby Kerry » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:03 pm

The adze handle proved unserviceable ToneWood, though there is still some local interest, I had an offer of £40, and would like to put a good ash handle on it before it goes.
I'm not sure where Wessex is ... but I know it's not round 'ere. There's a constant, if modest stream of tools comes through, and a visit is really the only way to get an idea, unless there's something I can look out for ...?
At present I've around a dozen panel saws, ten tenon saws, ten or so planes, twenty or thirty chisels, and lots of incidental bits and pieces. I'm hoping to deliver them to the nearest depot before Christmas, since I'm currently barely visible beneath a sea of (largely unidentified) old tools.
Kerry.

I dreamed I did die and to Heaven did go,
And where had I come from, they wanted to know,
I said "I'm from Wessex," and how they did stare !
"Come in," said Saint Peter ....... "You're the first one from there."
Kerry

Postby ToneWood » Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:49 pm

Wessex - more a state of mind than a place ;).
ToneWood
Regular

Return to Traders Corner