Greenwoodwork with Children

Posts that moderators have selected for inclusion in indexes and a dictionary of greenwood working terms.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer, forestdesigns, Donald Todd, Stellan Vert

Greenwoodwork with Children

Postby wayne » Mon Sep 24, 2012 12:05 pm

I have been holding a workshop space for people to make spoons this summer. It has been very successful but lately people have been asking if I can hold a space and carry out activities with children. The spoon making uses sharp knives so I've set a working limit at 12 years old.

Any Greenwoodwork ideas for under 12s?
wayne

Re: Greenwoodwork with Children

Postby RJWEcology » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:20 pm

wayne wrote:I have been holding a workshop space for people to make spoons this summer. It has been very successful but lately people have been asking if I can hold a space and carry out activities with children. The spoon making uses sharp knives so I've set a working limit at 12 years old.

Any Greenwoodwork ideas for under 12s?

How about Forest School? It would be a good introduction to the field and if they like it, they could build on what they have learnt. Also, what about willow weaving? That's good fun and doesn't require much interaction with sharp tools. It would also build dexterity and patience and they can work on more complicated patterns as they get better.

“When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world” ~ John Muir
RJWEcology
Regular

Postby jrccaim » Mon Nov 05, 2012 4:25 am

I think that this thread is extremely interesting. There are several other posts on the subject. But I do not believe this thread belongs here, however. Couple suggestions. Move it either to "Beginner's Corner" or "Greenwood Crafts." I undestand that I now have super-powers and could move you myself. But I hate to exercise power arbitrarily (I am no politician!) so may I urge you to move it yourself. I think Beginner's Corner is the coziest nook for your posts."Not to criticize but to learn" as famous physicist Neils Bohr used to say, but Indexed Pages is supposed to be for indices to this forum, compiled by members.
jrccaim
Regular

Postby gavin » Mon Nov 05, 2012 7:10 am

jrccaim wrote:... Indexed Pages is supposed to be for indices to this forum, compiled by members.

JR, Do your new superpowers as moderator include re-titling this section? I think the current title:

Indexed pages of interest

would be better simply as:-

Index
Gavin Phillips

- teacher, demonstrator & supporter of greenwoodworking & human-powered turning
- Supplier of Fun & Confidence

info@shed-therapy.com
http://www.shed-therapy.com
gavin
Regular

Postby robin wood » Mon Nov 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I never teach children in groups with knives. My feeling is that children need closer attention, one to one or one to two. Some children are capable with tools already and capable of working in a group but most need more attention. I also feel an increased burdon of responsibility when working with children rather than adults, if an adult partakes of a course, does not follow instructions well and cuts themselves I suspect they are less likely to complain than the parent of a child.

Anyway back to what you can do with kids in a group. Bryony Driver used to teach green woodwork in school and she started them making spatulas with drawknife on shave horse. It means having as many drawknives as kids but it is possible to make it 100% safe. She used to insist on two hands on the drawknife at all times or put it down on the front of the horse. One hand on knife and you can cut yourself.
http://www.robin-wood.co.uk bowls, books and courses
robin wood
Regular

Return to Indexed pages of interest