larch?

Share experience of timbers and other greenwood materials - learn by other people's mistakes and triumphs.

Moderators: jrccaim, Bob_Fleet, gavin, Robin Fawcett, HughSpencer

larch?

Postby pedder63 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 10:59 pm

I wondered if anyone knew of any uses for green larch? Has anyone any experience of cleaving it, carving it, or doing anything else crafty with it?

Thanks,

Peter
pedder63
Regular

Re: larch?

Postby Christophe » Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:02 pm

Hi Peter,
I have a piece that I carved into a small soup bowl, unfortunately It cracked during drying (but mainly due to poor storage IMO) I still have the other half that I will use at some point. Easy enough to carve, nice smell, but I don't have any idea how it will age. I can only imagine that it will age nicely due to the fact that it is a tough and waterproof wood.
Hope this help.
Be Water
Christophe
Christophe
Regular

Re: larch?

Postby Woodyrock » Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:04 am

Traditional small boats on the East coast of North America have used Larch (Hackmatock) for knees. The natural bent section of stump/root is where the knees come from. Each root making a pair of knees. In the 70's and 80's I made many small knees from Larch when work was slow in my small boatshop. The hard part was digging the stumps out, and getting them split. If I could catch the logging crew at the right time, they would bulldoze the stump out for me, so long as left beer in the appropriate creek..

Woody
Woodyrock

Return to Materials knowledge